Part 8: Wildfire

You started the biggest wildfire,Smoke lit up the sky - but the flames didn't last;Your words flow as gentle rivers,For this I listen eager - but your sound has drowned

Smoke lit up the sky - but the flames didn't last;
Your words flow as gentle rivers,
For this I listen eager - but your sound has drowned.

She was just too dangerous of a player.

When he left, she didn't feel that usual hatred. She sat perched where she always did, watching as the door closed. She didn't feel joy, or happiness either, something the look on his face told her that Kor clearly did. Instead, Kiara felt accomplished. She'd done what she set out to do. But she also felt something else. She'd never tolerated a man like she tolerated Kor. The feel of his skin against hers didn't make it crawl.

The feel of his breath on her neck didn't make her shudder. Maybe this was love.

Exactly thirty-three days after she met Kor, her prayers were realised.

A cool breeze whipped the air as Kiara wandered through the alleys in the early morning

A cool breeze whipped the air as Kiara wandered through the alleys in the early morning. The only ones awake beside her were market stall owners, trundling down the stone streets with carts laden with wares, ready for a busy day of selling useless trash nobody wanted. A polite smile and nod were all they would get out of Kiara. She never used to wake this early, but it was a common occurrence these days. Her mind was so full of thoughts that the moment she woke she was alive with a fire that burned brighter than the one that flowed through her fingertips.

Kiara entered her favourite little garden, her piece of heaven in amongst the overshadowing city streets. She dipped her feet into the cold water and sat back down on the bench where Kor had first found her. This was a fond moment for her. She didn't much care for memories, but she liked this one. The moment she found hope. It wasn't fond memories that brought her to the garden this early though, nor her wandering mind.

The clinking sound of metal plates rattling against each other alerted her to Kor's arrival. He stood in the entrance to the garden. Kiara drew a stone from her pocket and smirked. Carved into the rough surface were the words garden and sunrise.

"Didn't you get enough of me last night?"

Kor was not wearing his usual expression of love and devotion, Instead, it was sullen and wrapped with anxiety. He seemed restless, tapping his fingers and looking over his shoulder.

"What is wrong?" Kiara patted the seat next to her. Kor shook his head at the invitation. A jolt of nerves hit Kiara with a sensation she felt only being penetrated with an arrow could mimic. Had he caught her out?

"I can't stay," Kor said quickly, with another look over his shoulder.

Usually Kor was a man of few words, Kiara liked this about him, but she wasn't looking for curt sentences today. Not as beads of sweat began to form on the back of her neck.

"Tell me." Kiara rose quickly and almost glided over to Kor, her long flowing dress grazing the grass that crept its way through the sandstone tiled floor. She got closer to him, testing to see how he reacted. He didn't move in to meet her, but didn't pull away either.

Kiara waited on his next move. She didn't like this; not being able to read somebody.

"I have a way out for us."

Kiara stifled a sigh of relief and instead looked at her lover with eager eyes. As much as she wanted to probe, she knew that wasn't the way to play this one.

"Then why are you sad?" She offered, feigning concern as best she could.

"I'm not sad. I'm worried." Kor locked eyes with Kiara, holding a stern gaze. She could see it in him, something was wrong.

"If it's dangerous, we'll find another way." She couldn't risk losing him, not yet.

"It's not dangerous, and that's what worries me."

"What is going on, Kor? Talk to me."

Kor pulled Kiara in close to him, not romantically but to make sure nobody could hear his words. "You mentioned two nights ago, stealing from the palace. I can do it."

"What?" Kiara gasped. Her plan was a joke, a ploy to keep him in her bedroom longer.

"The palace army is marching out of Coldmore as we speak, with most of the city guard. Only a few of us will remain. I can take a few jewels and we can leave. It will take days before they realise they're gone. We'll find a buyer far from here and escape. Then we can do whatever you need to follow the fire inside you."

I think it's time to leave

—————-

Thoughts?
Yeah I really rush the relationship between Kor and Kiara but don't worry I have a plan on that
Idk if it's good

Fingers cross, good luck to me