Theories

Thanjs so much for your support guys! I hope this appeases your curiosity about River! She's mine, by the way, but all the other characters are Derek Landy's. With a small exception of the Dementor... That's owned by J.K.Rowling... That's a spoiler! Read away :D

----------------------------

Valkyrie's POV

She was stunning. Her shape, so like an hourglass, so curvy, but not big. She was anything but. She was thin, but not skinny. She was... Perfect. But it was not her shape, not her shoulder- length bouncy brown hair, nor her tank-top, or even her powerful stance that made her stunning. It was her scars. Across her right eye, there lay a precisely-made scar, so clean and neat, it looked almost hand-made by a make-up kit. But it wasn't. It had been made for torture- not to harm her, merely put her through agony. That much was apparent. No one would take that much care over one cut. But it had been deep- the way it protruded from the skin made that apparent. Her eye was completely unharmed- that just justified her theory. But that wasn't all- all down her throat, shoulders and arms were large scars- bit marks. These were infinitely different to the one on her face- they're we're messy, made in no particular way, a messy block of raised bumps across her skin. Her skin- it was pale white, almost the colour of that of a sick child- such a papery look of it, it seemed as though it may break. But it wouldn't.

Valkyrie's eyes travelled further down her body- and settled on her left arm. All along the out side were careful, clean scars- again, like the one on her face. They were horizontal, a centimetre or so between each. Instantly, Valkyrie was reminded of self-harm scars, but then realised how proposterous that would be- she could never reach around and cut herself like that. It was a silly thought, but one which Valkyrie couldn't suppress. She vaguely wondered if the scar on her face and arm were from the same thing, but decided not to dwell on that. Her eyes wandered back up to her face.

Her eyes were bright blue, a friendly colour, in such contrast to her appearance. Deposited her scary appearance, Valkyrie felt she could trust her- something she realised was probably stupid. Her thought were interrupted suddenly by Skulduggery.

'I thought you were dead,' he breathed, took three large strides towards her and hugged her. She laughed.

'Well, as far as I can tell I'm alive.' She looked down at her body. 'Yup. Still alive.' Skulduggery chuckled, and spun aroun to face Ghastly.

'I thought you said you didn't know if she could be trusted?' He sounded disbelieving.

'Ah. I meant her... Erm... Idea as to how to get the remnant out'. He glanced over at Tanith, who was visibly angry.

'Get her out!' She screeched, writhing and struggling against the bonds.

'I'd rather you just called me River, to be honest.' She shrugged her shoulders. 'But you can call me she if you have to.' For some reason, Valkyrie started to laugh. All the heads turned towards her, disbelieving. River merely shook her head, and moved agilely into the room, away from the doorway. It was now she could really appreciate her arms and legs- both incredibly muscled. She reminded Valkyrie of a predator... Of a ... Vampire! She took a shakey step away from her. River's head turned sharply toward her.

'You've worked it out then?' Her voice was not accusing, just matter-of-fact.

'You're... A vampire.'

'Ah. Yes... And no. My father was a vampire. I have taken on some 'traits', like my agility and stamina, but I don't turn into a crazy beast at nightfall, thank god.' She smiled at Valkyrie, and she instantly felt guilty. How could she have ever have thought of her as scary? She was lovely. She cleared her throat.

'Now... Down to business. Lets have a look, shall we?' Tanith snarled at her, but River just laughed.

'You'll never get me out! You'd have to kill me!'

'I sincerely doubt it.' She sighed, and turned towards Ghastly.

'Yes?' He sounded skeptical.

'What extents are you willing to go to to get the remnant out?'

'What exactly are you planning on doing? China briefly mentioned that you weren't even sure if it would work.' He sounded nervous. She looked uncomfortable.

'Have you ever heard... Of a Dementor?' Ghastly and Skulduggery both nodded.

'I don't,' Valkyrie piped up. River smiled, almost apologetically.

'I'm sorry to be the one to tell you. I'm actually surprised you haven't come across one yet. Better for you actually.' Valkyrie nodded, but was secretly excited. What in earth were these things? They talked about then like they were... She didn't even know.

'Dementors are...a non-being, a dark creature, considered one of the foulest to inhabit the world. They feed off human happiness, and cause depression and despair to anyone near them. They can also consume a person's soul,' she paused, and her eyes flickered to Tanith, who snarled again. 'This is what I propose to do: I, as you may or may know, and one of the most powerful necromancers to live, including miss StClair. I intend to convince a Dementor to remove Tanith's soul, give it to me, I remove the remnant, give it to... the creature, who will then do whatever it wants with it. It leaves, and we get Tanith back, and you carry on you lives.' She paused. 'I'm not sure of she will remember anything that happened, but for your sake, I hope she doesn't.' She took a deep breath, and glanced around. She broke into a grin, and turned towards Valkyrie.

'Wanna come catch a Dementor with me?' Valkyrie just grinned.

--------------

This satisfy??