Chapter One

The young girl stabbed the last Scientist with a scalpel through the eye. Alarms sounded in the laboratory and throughout the facility. She stopped and looked at the damage that she had done. You all asked for this the day you took me. She thought as anger slowly started to boil in her heart. Cala foresaw this exact moment over a year ago. It haunted her; which had woken fear. She looked down at her arm and pulled the needle out of the bend of her elbow. The smell of fresh blood filled the air around her. She wiped her bloody hands on a hanging lab coat. Beads of sweat fell from her forehead.

Her piercing purple eyes changed back to their natural gold color as she settled. Then she cocked her head to the side listening carefully. They're coming. She grabbed her silver weapon off the floor and set it at the small of her back. She kicked open the door and started to run down the poorly lit hallway. Her long jet-black hair flew behind her as she ran. One soldier ran at Cala from behind, but she heard him coming. As the soldier got close, she flipped over the man; getting lost in the shadows above him. She landed behind the man and snapped his neck with little more than a twitch of the wrist. As his body fell, she kept running. After taking a series of turns, she skidded to a halt due to the fact that at the end of the hallway waited a crowd of men.

She felt her eyes shift to their purple as she heard footsteps from the shadowy end of the hall. The men sat there in the darkness, like a beast laying in the shadows; waiting for its pray. She stood there and just stared into the darkness. She was trying to think of another way out because she didn't want to kill anymore. Then the men made the fatal mistake of attacking first, firing tranquilizer darts at her. She flipped and dodged as many darts as possible. Unfortunately, a dart stuck her in the side of the neck and another got her in the leg. Once the fire stopped, she fell on her hands and knees. Her dark hair fell to the side of her face.

She brushed her fingers over her neck to find the dart and pulled it out. She saw what was left of a metallic silver liquid. Fine. You're asking for it. She thought. What ever was in that dart was supposed to knock her out. But her body turned that liquid into adrenaline. As a way of baiting the men, she collapsed on the ground leaving the dart in her leg. She could hear the footsteps come closer.

"Grab her and tie her up. Take her weapon there," the head of security barked.

His men did as they were told. She felt a gloved hand grab her staff that was at the small of her back. Once her wrists and ankles were zip tied, she felt her body being lifted off the ground. The man who picked her up hoisted her onto his shoulder. Cala smiled as her eyes opened. A scalpel that was hidden in her sleeve slid down into her hand. She cut the zip tie and freed her wrists. Forcing her weight toward her feet made the guard stop. Another guard stopped and waited for his friend.

While the other guards continued to move, they stopped while he tried to adjust himself. Then she jumped off his shoulder and dug the scalpel into his neck, right under his jawbone. She placed one hand over his mouth to keep him from screaming. She pushed the blade in deeper then twisted it; which made an odd wet sound. His eyes rolled back into his head and his body went limp. Before the other guard could shout for help, she threw the scalpel; impaling him in between the eyes. She grabbed the scalpel before his body drop. Once his body hit the ground, she jumped up and climbed onto the rafters above her head. She looked ahead and saw one of the men stop.

"Sir! Hector is dead! So is Steffen," he shouted. A group of men came and circled the dead soldiers.

"Where is the subject," One of the men demanded.

"Search the area," the second in command barked. They all searched but they couldn't find her. One of the men stood directly beneath her. He looked up and Cala jerked; hoping that she hadn't been spotted. She used the scalpel to try to cut the zip ties around her ankles, finally able to free herself.