Chapter Two

She watched the men search the area frantically. There was so much commotion between the radios and their heavy foot steps. The last thing the second in command wanted was to lose a visual on her. After reading her field reports, she is known to be unpredictably lethal.

        “Contact Orion! Get him here now,” the second in command yelled, finally fed up with the search. His men rushed around, and she heard one of the men contact her handler Orion. Within two minutes, Orion showed up. He walked over to the second in command and stood before him.

            “I understand that you requested my presence,” Orion said.

            “Where is the Subject,” he asked. Orion gave a look of confusion.

            “Excuse me,” he asked. The second in command didn’t like his response. He punched Orion in the stomach. Orion hunched over holding his stomach. Then the officer kneed him in the face, cutting the bridge of his nose. Blood started to drip from the cut.

        “Where is Subject! I know you had something to do with this,” the second in command bellowed. Anger boiled in Cala’s chest. Orion was like a father figure to her. When she was captured, he was assigned to nurse her back to good health. They spent a significant amount of time together. Over that time period, Orion had grown a soft spot for the child. And the bond between them was the most dangerous thing Orion ever made. No only was he her caretaker, he was her trainer as well. He was the only one in the facility that treated her like a human, not a weapon. He even taught her some Arabic when she wasn’t on a lab table.

          "What the hell are you talking about?! I returned not even a half hour ago to all hell breaking loose," Orion spat. The second in command punched him in the face this time, busting Orion's lip. Blood dripped from his lip as the second in command responded.

          "Do you take me for a fool? I know you made a bond with the Subject. So I know you have something to do with this. Now where the hell is it?!" Orion chuckled as he let go of his stomach and felt his face. He smeared blood down his lip as he wiped the blood from his face. He finally stood up straight and looked the Second in command in the eyes as he answered.

          “First of all, I do indeed take you for a fool. Second, I don’t know where she is! But if I did, I wouldn’t tell you animals anyway. And third of all, she is not an object. And she is more human than you will ever be,” Orion snapped back.

        "Your attachment to the Subject will be the death of you," the second in command hissed. Orion smirked.

        "I would rather die for her than die for your cause Serge."

        His officer was furious. He went to punch Orion once more, but Cala had finally seen enough. She jumped down and landed in front of Orion. As the officer’s fist came, she caught it and squeezed his fist tight; crushing it slowly. Her eyes shifted from gold to purple. The officer had a reputation of having no fear. But Cala had struck fear into his heart. She could see this in his eyes. As she continued to crush his fist, you could hear the bones in his knuckles start to break.

            “Leave him alone,” she said in venomous tone. Then she completely crushed his fist. She let go and he shouted in pain. Orion stood behind her and looked around. The six men that were there surrounded them. Orion and Cala both got into their battle stance.           

        “Cala. Attack pattern Set-1,” Orion said in Arabic. Everyone looked around confused. Orion slipped a gun into her hand and she curled her fingers around the handle. Then she pulled it out and fired at the ceiling, taking out a light rod. Everyone jumped, startled by the gun shot. Then Orion attacked first, tackling one of the men into the shadows.

      As they fought, someone snuck behind Orion with a knife. Cala’s eyes widened. But before she could do anything, the gun was knocked out of her hand. She was kicked against the wall and held there by a soldier’s boot. He lifted her off her feet with his foot at her throat. She struggled to breath as the pressure increased. Then she heard a shout. Orion. He had just gotten stabbed in the side. Cala elbowed the side of the man’s shin. She heard it snap. He dropped his leg and Cala slid down the wall. As she caught her breath and rushed to Orion’s side.