5 - christmas shopping

Y/N's POV

When I wake up, I feel super energized and quickly jump into the shower so that I can start getting ready for the day. It's not until I look at my phone and see a message from Clay that I remember why I'm excited. Then I scold myself. No reason to be so excited. It's just christmas shopping. Clay texted me around 8 a.m, hopefully when he woke up, not when he went to bed.

clay

hey..
do you wanna drive separately or take one car?
idc either way

we can drive together
simplify it

cool
you want me to drive or you

i don't care

ok, i'll drive then
what time do you want me to pick you up

depends
you still wanna go afternoon?

probably
i have some stuff i need to do before then

how about 1 o'clock then

sure thing
see you then

My shoulder slump a little as I reread our messages again. He seems pretty disinterested and suddenly I feel embarrassed that I woke up so excited. I don't even know why. It's just christmas shopping. I'm just helping him out. Nothing more... Right?

It's only 9:30 right now, but I decide to continue getting ready anyway. Twisting my hair in a towel, I start toward the kitchen. Maybe I'll bake some muffins for us to eat on the way. I contemplate asking him what kind he likes best but decide chocolate chip is the safest option. Besides, he did he has stuff to do and I don't want to bother him.

Just as I begin to throw ingredients in my mixer, my phone rings on the counter. Samantha's face pops up and her favorite song plays as her ringtone. Wiping my hands off on a towel, I answer. "Hey! What's up?"

"Oh thank god you picked up. Ryan just called me from the bakery and he says something's up with the oven and he needs help. It should be super quick, but I'm at that conference right now so I really can't go. Any chance you can run in and check it out?"

"Of course. I'll let you know what I find out."

"You're the best. Love you!"

"Love you! Have fun learning about... business techniques." She laughs.

"One of us had to go. Technically we already know all this stuff from college, but I wanna make sure I still understand it."

"Right. Okay, I'm gonna head out to check in with Ryan. I'm going christmas shopping later, so i'll call you tonight to tell you about it."

"I can't wait!! Bye!!" I quickly throw on some jeans and a t-shirt and shove my feet into a pair of tennis shoes before running out the front door, coffee in hand.

My trip to the bakery takes less than an hour because the issue is an easy fix, but with the driving and a stop for breakfast, I'm not home until shortly after 11. The muffin ingredients are still sitting on my counter, but I just chuck them in the trash bin and resolve to make cookies instead. It takes me less than ten minutes to whip up the dough and lay it out in neat rows.