11 - podcast

Y/N'S POV

Gorgeous.

That's what Clay called me as he left my house this morning. After he sat on the floor next to me for two hours because for some reason, I requested him to. After he set my alarm for me and somehow knew when to wake me up. After he offered to go get me coffee at 5:45 a.m. just because I said I wanted some.

Oh

My

God.

I am going to explode.

Getting ready for work is difficult only because I constantly lose focus thinking about Clay. When I do finally stumble into the bakery, Samantha gives me a weird look, but doesn't say anything. Not yet. I get right to work, hoping that the tasks will distract me from the overwhelming thoughts that are going through my head. They don't. Around lunch time, Sam brings me a breakfast muffin and we sit in the backroom, eating in silence.

Finally, she says, "Dude, what the fuck happened to you?!"

There is absolutely no point in denying it. And it's not like we have time to take a long lunch break, so I get right into it. I start with the ice cream date to which she says, "I WONDERED ABOUT YOUR STORY!" Then I tell her about the flowers he left for me and she literally swoons. Then I tell her ALL about going to his house yesterday and falling asleep watching the documentary. An employee comes back to check on us because she screams when I tell her about him taking me home and staying there until I woke up.

When I'm done, I'm worried she's going to burst with excitement. "OH MY GOD, YOU HAVE YOUR FIRST REAL ADULT BOYFRIEND EVER!!!"

"Well, I mean there was--"

"NO," she interrupts. "I SAID BOYFRIEND. THAT DOESN'T COUNT!" I roll my eyes, pushing my previous relationship out of my mind with a shake of my head.

"Okay, okay. Kind of." It's not that I haven't had any relationships before now. They've just all been with immature men who I broke up with after a matter of weeks... well except for my most recent, but I'd prefer to pretend that never happened. Isabella really helped me get over that, so I'm just hoping she hasn't mentioned it to Clay.

After telling Samantha about Clay, it's a lot easier to work, but that doesn't mean I'm thinking about anything else. Thankfully, Samantha is on front today and I'm just decorating cakes in the back, so I don't have to interact with a bunch of people.

About a half hour before closing, Samantha pokes her head into the backroom where I am and tells me there's a customer. I quickly wash my hands off and head up front even though there's really no reason why she should need me to start taking customers right now. It hasn't been busy since this morning.

When I get up front, I spot him and realize why Samantha called me. I quickly suppress a grin and meet Clay at the counter. "What are you doing here?" I ask, taking note that he still looks slightly uncomfortable being in public even though there's only one other customer in here and she's reading a novel in the corner.

"Oh? Is that how you greet customers now? Very professional," he remarks sarcastically.

"Oh, my bad. Let me restart." He grins as I clear my throat dramatically. "Hi! Welcome to Sweeter Side Bakery! What can I get for you on this fine day?" He laughs and leans back, examining the few treats we have left.

"I dunno. You choose for me."

"How do you feel about cupcakes?"

"I feel like they're absolutely phenomenal and I would love to try one from the Sweeter Side Bakery," he responds, looking back at the showcase. "Except I don't see any. So you've officially gotten my hopes up for nothing."