Chapter 2

Lexi Howard did not believe in soulmates. She thought it was just something Hollywood shoved down our throats. She did however believe that there was somebody who would truly love every part of her including all the bad stuff. The hard part was finding that person.

Nate Jacobs couldn't possibly be that person. He was the exact opposite of everything she wanted in a Husband. He was domineering and aggressive. He was also manipulative and seemed like he would step over anyone who got in his way.

Even when Lexi and Nate were young he would always force her to listen to his opinions and would get violent if she disagreed with him. He was unforgiving and felt the need to control everybody around him including Lexi.

"You are insane," Lexi yelled out, her breathing starting to get more heavy.

Nate made a face. "Don't act like your fucking perfect because your not," Nate growled.

That comment really rubbed Lexi the wrong fucking way.

"What's wrong with me, Nate?" Lexi questioned genuinely curious as to what he had to say.

"Your not confident and it's painfully obvious," Nate explained and Lexi rolled her eyes.

"I am confident" Lexi insisted roughly.

"Is that why you dress like that?" He laughed and she immediately looked at what she was wearing. She wore a black collared cardigan and some pink plaid pants that she thought fit her quite well. She loved her outfit and thought it was odd that he didn't.

"There's nothing wrong with how I dress," Lexi shot back crossing her arms over her chest as she narrowed her eyes at him.

"You dress like a fourth grade teacher" Nate spat and Lexi started to feel even more irritated than she already was.

Lexi's brows shot up high on her forehead and
she scoffed, "That isn't true"

"You never show skin and that's weird," He told Lexi and she rolled her eyes.

"There are many things about you that are weird," Lexi said changing the subject.

"Enlighten me," Nate responded with a grin.

"You feel the need to protect the people you like from things that can hurt them, yet you don't protect them from yourself," Lexi hissed back.

"You don't know me, Howard" Nate barked and Lexi felt herself shrink in fear. Nate was intimidating, the way he towered over her made her feel as though she was a child.

"And you don't know me," She shouted holding eye contact with Nate.

"I've watched you"," He said quietly but Lexi heard him loud and clear. He watched her? Like some weird stalker or a possessive boyfriend.

"Are you stalking me?" She questioned.

"Do you never want to be in a relationship?" He asked and she didn't say anything for a few seconds. She felt embarrassed and uncomfortable with him asking her something like that.

"I do" She mumbled looking at the floor instead of Nate.

"Then why haven't you dated somebody?" Nate blurted out and Lexi's eyes widened in shock. Did he really just ask her that? She didn't know how to respond. Should she lie and say that she had dated people before or should she be honest?

"I don't have the time," She lied and Nate shook his head.

"That's a lie. You're just scared" He uttered.

"I'm not scared," She said trying to defend herself.

"You are that's why you've rejected all the people that have asked you out," He told her. How did he even know that?