1 ❦

The Golden Flower

I took the golden flower and tucked it into my bouquet without anyone noticing. Then, swiftly, I regained my place on a nearby chair among the other feasting young ladies. Everything was going according to plan. Yet, I still couldn't believe that the magical treasure of Gelda, praised by all, lay between my fingers.

"I have it," I breathed through my mic.

"Awesome stuff. Now, stay put and don't lose your focus." Dash guided.

"Well, that'll be easy." I was almost whispering. My heart felt like it was going to jump out of my body.

"I believe in you." Now, he was making fun of me.

"Stop it."

From my earpiece, I could hear him laugh.

What an ass hole, I thought.

Lady Eve, a close relative to the Queen, was the hostess of this garden bash. She sat at the far end of the long dining table, smiling at guests here and there. She had had maids daintily decorate the event with Long, heavy clothes that trailed on the floor. The relaxing scent of freshly cut roses and pastries floated teasingly around our noses. String lights hung from the wooden frame on top of our heads. But, unfortunately, all the fancy decorations made me feel extraordinarily out of place.

Glasses clinked together as the ladies laughed aloud as a toast was promptly given. I couldn't remember how many times the women had raised their glasses. It could've been the twentieth time. Nonetheless, they still had things to celebrate. It was prince Arthuriel's 17th birthday, after all. I didn't share the excitement, however.

Eve took a small sip from her wine glass, straightened back up and swept food crumbs off her clothing. Her smile seemed like a photo on her face. It made it hard to tell how she actually felt at the moment.

I brought my rosé wine glass to my lips, my lipstick staining red on the rim of my glass. I wiped it with a nearby silk cloth. Eve was gone when I lifted my eyes from my glass.

My heart sunk down to my stomach with a painful thump.

She'd vanished. Of course, it wouldn't be that easy, I sighted. Lightly squeezing the bouquet between my fingers, I pressed onto my hidden speaker.

"Crap, I lost sight of Eve."

"Shit," Alec quickly replied through the mic. "The plan was so close to being perfect."

"I know, but let's not lose sight of our main goal. Eve was an important character to study, but we cannot dwell on this loss. So we steal the flower and leave. » Our leader, Dash, said briefly. "Are you okay, Gwen?" He asked.

"Yes, Dash, and the flower's alright."

"Kay. Stay safe."

"Yea, I will," I replied gently. There was a brief instant of quietness. That was until Alec broke it.

"Jeez, you guys are constantly flirting. Date already!"

"Shut up, Alec."

"Back to work." Dash switched his mic off.

I held tight onto the supernatural flower. This moment felt unreal. I glanced at the plant in the bouquet to admire its dainty-looking petals. They opened to face me as if they were saying hello. It was indeed a beautiful sight.

The blossom's original name was Geldalia Amethis. That was until it became so forgettable that the town's lords simplified it to the Golden Flower. Many myths explain their existence, and one may choose which one to believe between them. Some say the plant budded underneath Antarctica's coldest lands and soils; others say it's the opposite; the plant germinated from the driest soils in Egypt. I don't want to wrap my head around all that history.

However, you need to know that this bloom is the cause of many disputes in today's society. It is the cause of significant imbalance in the world because many empires are currently fighting to have it in their possession. And these empires mean war, death, seas of bloodshed and betrayal.

I find it incredible that many people lose their homes and family members because of the delicate little flower I held.

Everybody carries the same purpose. People plaster a divine smile on their faces. And there's no way to tell anyone's true intentions but only after they've betrayed you. That's why Dash, Alec and I were sent on this mission. To betray before we got betrayed.

By partaking in the Sixlogy, we vow to do what it takes to reach our objectives.

« Miss Evergarden! »

Even if that implied the murder of an innocent woman,

« Miss Evergarden, can you hear me? »

Even if it implied the clash of a festive evening,

We would reach our goal.