3

Hidden Outputs

Hidden Outputs

I shivered a little and looked around. I needed to get out of here. I pushed past the crowds of chattering women, holding my head low. The ladies were all up from their chairs, and their voices clamoured against one another. Pressing down my veil across my face, I blended in with the bundle of chatterboxes. I looked around for wooden pedestal doors.

Try and remember, I whispered to myself softly.

I briefly remembered the map out of the castle. The main floors were where the maids and butlers rested and guarded. The Deities' acquaintances' towers were on the left aisle of the palace grounds. Finally, there was the royal garden, where arborists took care of the rarest and exotic plants and flowers; the flowers were cared for by a group of the most professional garden takers—Rests to know about the floors of the council. The palace maids carefully decorated the Queen's chambers with porcelain bibelots, golden ornaments, and expensive little treasures. None of those were of my interest.

My primary objective was to get out of the chateau with the flower and flee away from this empire. Alec and Dash must be bored, as they took care of both the inside and outside lookout. I needed to tell them about the poisoned glasses. I suspected Eves might be involved in all this. I turned to the doors leading to the exterior part of the palace, but I heard a voice emit from behind me before I could twist the door handle.

"Madam," they said. "You have been called at the tables for an important announcement."

I turned to see a calm-looking butler.

"Understood, I'll be right there." I smiled, as I was used to in situations where I had nothing else to do. But, inside, I was panicking because I was losing time and gathering back up to the tables would put me at significant risk of getting caught with the flower. I raked my brain for some plan. I had to find one quickly.

"Noblewomen and gentlemen, take calm as we figure out the incidents at this royal garden party." Mlle Eves took the speech on a wide-raised platform. She held her hand low and entangled together as if she were about to reveal some thrill-giving news. "We have some important news for you, my fair ladies, today as the sun sets before our castle walls." She announced firmly. She was getting old, and her features stood dim old beneath her veil. She uttered the last words of her speech groggily;

"The golden flower has been misplaced. And after having gotten some help from the security guards and forces, they will hold a search on; therefore, no attendee will have access to the doors until the search ends."

My heart sunk into its depths. Nights with clattering armour and barriers trotted into the royal garden event, and their heals clicketing against the marble floors.

Shit, shit, shit. I've got to get my but out of here, now!

Ideas rushed through my mind;

Steps to organizing an escape in an enclosed public area
1. Staying calm. Taking deep breaths and keeping a relaxed body language and facial expression.
2. Think and analyze the area's layout.
3. Escape

And that's when a brilliant idea bubbled up into my head.

I got it.

I quickly swerved past several ladies with my head hung low. Then, as I had brought my rosé wine glass to my lips earlier, I'd scanned the garden room enough to notice a lump in the gravel road. That lump was a mundane-looking vase. The vase seemed slightly isolated from the others. The maids might have made a mistake or simply a misplaced vase like the others, but my instincts and guts told me to check. And, it was my only chance out of here. It needed to be an exit.

I lowered before the row of vases and eyed the one seeming to stand out. I reached in with prudence and slightly tilted the vase on its side. I gasped silently as I watched the walls open before my eyes. The thick walls parted hardly, and I had to push them more to fit through them. This place indeed was full of hidden outputs. It left me intrigued.