7 ❦

≠ "Intuition goes before you, showing you the way. Emotion follows behind, to let you know when you go astray." ≠

                                               ---------❆ • ※ • ❆----------

The clock struck eight pm. I quickly checked my reflection in the mirror to see if I looked decent; I had held my hair up in a loose chignon. My glimmering eyes seemed to give away the idea that I'd been crying. I looked away from my face to check out my outfit in hopes of finding comfort. I wore large pyjama pants and a comfortable sweater. I grunted at the view of my thin limbs.

By the time I got to Dash's room, the hallways within the center had quieted down. Usually, nobody dared to make a sound past eight o'clock because of the center's strict rules. Rules go as follows: The center gives you a reason to live, provides you with healthy food, a habitable chamber, and superior levels of training in return for loyalty and respect to directing members, The superiors.

I nervously knocked on Dash's door. It was silent for a while. I fidgeted with my fingers, already debating if I should turn back around or stay here. Then, before I could decide, the door swung open, and my heart skipped five beats.

"Hi, Gwen," he said. His voice was groggy, as if he'd been sleeping.

"Hey," I responded a little awkwardly.

"Come on in." He shifted from the doorframe to let me in.

His room was neat and tidy. Posters of bands and funny quotes decorated the walls;

"A cop pulled me over and said "Papers," so I said "Scissors, I win!" and drove off."

I snickered. Dash's studying area was simple. Bookshelves were stacked along his walls with novels, primarily by Agatha Christie and Cassandra Clare. It's funny because sometimes he reminds me of Jace in Clare's Shadowhunters due to his intense facial expressions and good looks.

"What's up?" By this time, I had already composed myself. Yes, my heart was beating normally again. He placed his towel on his desk before taking a seat on his mattress. I followed him and sat next to him, prepared to hear anything.

His eyes met mine, and the feeling from the door came back. The grey in his eyes was so intense, and so was the pink of my cheeks. Again, it was very embarrassing that he had this effect on me. This time, in an attempt to challenge him, I stared back. Our eyes locked briefly then a rackety clock resonated.

"Ah, finally, it's nine." He said quietly, finally tearing his eyes away from mine. He got up from the bed and headed over to the kitchen.

"What's so special about nine?"

"It means no more audio recordings from Alison's listeners."

When I raised my eyebrows at him, he continued.

"I figured it out a while ago. Do you remember when I mistakingly made my way out of Sixlogy headquarters when we were looking for the map in the hunt last year?"

"Yes? When you nearly got kicked out of the institution?"

"Yes, it scared the demons out of you?" He

"Hey! I-I was just worried!" I scoffed,

He laughed. "I know, I'm messing with you."

Dash walked back to the bed with a tray in his hands and placed it beside me.

"Here." A small cup of vapoury tea, biscuits and a napkin lay on the gray tray.

"Thanks. You didn't have to, you know...."