Keep it Professional

With that last line, both of us go quiet. Once again despite saying we'd move on from the past, we're standing here thinking about it again. It's so easy to fall back into my old habits. Teasing her like I used to won't do anything but blur the lines between us. I need to keep it professional. Just focus on working with her, I don't need to become her friend.

Karan's POV:

After dropping her off at her house, I keep running through our conversation in my head. I agreed that we would start over and set our differences aside but isn't that easier said than done? I feel like she's going to push us into becoming friends but I don't know how to just be friends with her.

It's not like I can pretend like our past didn't exist but also I can't hold onto this anger forever. Maybe I should've said something to her but the thought of pushing her away hurt. She genuinely wanted to make things cordial between us and I couldn't hurt her by saying no. I'll shove down my lingering feelings for her and just focus on our work.

All she can be is my colleague because the second I let her in any further I know I'll fall all the way again. Neither of us are ready to give each other another chance so there's no need to build hope for impossibilities. I just wish I could move on from her but she's carved this place in my mind and won't get out.

In the months after the show ended, my PR sent me on dates with a few girls in the industry just to show the public I'm not some broken hearted guy still pining over her. On the first few dates I completed my obligations and left. On some of the ones in the last month I decided to maybe just give it a try. I tried talking to them and getting to know them better but my mind wouldn't stop comparing everything they did to what Teja would do.

It wasn't even intentional. Instinctually I would just remember what Teja would do. Despite the distance between us, she still had such a hold over me. It wasn't fair and felt more like a curse but no matter what I did, I couldn't change it.

So here I am really doubting if coming back to this set was the best idea. Yes this is going to without a doubt test my feelings for her but neither of us deserve to lose such a good opportunity. I just need to keep reminding myself that we're just professionals. I find myself quickly praying to God to make sure everything turns out okay and make my steps towards the set.

Riya finds me as soon as I step on set and takes me up to the conference room for a meeting with the rest of the producers.

"Karan we're glad to have you back but just wanted to let you know that we'll need you and Teja to pull extra hours this week to get us back on schedule."

I fold my hands in my lap and find myself nodding along. "I had expected as much. I want to apologize for the way I left and put you all in a tough position."

One of the producers crosses his arms over his chest and gives a brief nod. "We understand there were some personal issues and I'm happy to hear those have been sorted. But on that note we need you to sign two clauses on your contract: 1. If you back out of the show again due to personal conflicts, we will need to be recompensed monetarily for what we have paid you. 2. We need assurance you will not allow personal conflicts to affect your performance."

I understand the first clause but the second one? Seeing my confusion the producer clarifies, "We know you and Teja have had a relationship before and we don't need your personal issues coming in between. You two need to learn to coexist. We don't want to dictate your relationship with each other but this show is built on your chemistry. In whatever way you approach it, we need you two to be comfortable with each other."

I do understand where they're coming from and I guess this is what we had discussed yesterday in the car. Still, though it feels like there is this weird pressure on us after hearing this. It's not just us affected by the relationship between us, it's the whole outcome of the show that's dependent on us. I calm myself down by reminding myself we'll be fine. We'll be professionals and leave the past in the past as we discussed.