Lost and Confused

He's asking me to let down my walls and let him in but they're built so strong I feel like I've trapped myself inside.

Teja's POV:

I pull into his apartment complex and have a moment where I'm just sitting in the parking garage shocked that I'm actually here. Every part of my brain wants me to turn around and go home. For someone hellbent on needing time, I'm doing the opposite by showing up to his place all because I'm concerned about whether he's okay. But no matter what my brain says, my heart won't let me turn around.

He's probably fine and just ignoring me because of the way our last conversation went. Despite knowing this, I know I won't be able to focus on anything else until I talk to him. I take a deep breath and get out of the car to start walking towards the elevator. As I'm going up I start thinking about everything that could go wrong. He could not be home or maybe he's with someone else because he was upset with me. I shake myself out of those thoughts. I can't think like that.

I get to his door and ring the doorbell. The door opens and while I'm expecting to see him, I instead come face to face with his mom. My cheeks turn so warm and I'm stunned out of words. I didn't realize his parents were staying with him and never did I imagine meeting them like this. Now I want to do nothing but turn around like my brain was telling me to earlier.

I paste a bright smile to my face and go to touch her feet while saying "Hi Aunty it's-"

She stops me from bending down and says "Teja. I know. In our family girls don't touch anyones feet"

There's a slight smile on her face but it doesn't reveal much to me. I can't help but suddenly remember everything I had said to him in our fights. Oh god his mom saw all of that. Instead of closing the door on my face, she opens it wider and gives me space to step in. "I'm guessing you're here to check on Karan. Maybe you can convince him to take his medicine."

I follow behind her and she grabs me a pill off the counter. "He's not taking his medicine?"

"You know Sunny. He says he's fine and we're all overreacting. Omi had to cancel work for him."

"Uh I doubt Karan will listen to me."

She smiles at my statement. "Teja I don't think there's much you can ask him to do that he won't listen to."

I feel my cheeks get warm and I shake my head. "It's nothing like that. I was worried about him as a friend."

If possible her smile gets a little bigger and she lets out a little chuckle. "Okay Teja. His room is right down the hall."

I don't know what to say so I turn towards his room and knock on the door. I don't hear anything so I slightly open the door and see him laying on his bed with his eyes shut. Without realizing it I move closer to him until I'm sitting on the side of his bed. I eye his face trying to see if he looks better and see he has more color in his face comparatively to yesterday. There's a lock of hair that falls on his forehead and I push it back.

As I start pulling my hand back, his wrist comes out and grabs it. He opens his eyes and they widen in surprise when they land on me. He lets go of my wrist and uses both of his arms to push himself into a seated position.

"What are you doing here?"

I lean over to his nightstand and grab the glass of water. I put it in his hand and open my fist with the pill. "First take your medicine."

He pushes my hand away. "I'm fine. My mom is just being dramatic."

"Well I agree with her." Before he can say anything else, I slip the pill into his mouth that was poised with another comment saying he's fine.