~ Chapter Six ~

We won.

Slightly chuckling I headed to the change room to grab my stuff, and headed out of the gym. It was the end of school, Friday. That meant my sister was already off at her friends house and I'd take one bus and then walk the rest of the way home to an empty house.

I trudged up the flight of stairs and looked out through the window. Outside the gym, our homeroom teacher was talking to half the class.

Strange.

I walked outside and joined the crowd of whispering kids that had gathered around him.

"...I have something I need to tell you all." He said trying to catch our attention, "Just meet me in our classroom and don't pack up yet..." I turned to Gavin.

"Did I miss something?"

He looked at me and shrugged blankly.

"Guys!" We turned around, Luke was running up to us looking frantically on their phone. "Look at this-" They held up the phone so we could see.

It was a news article,  I quickly skimmed over the first few sentences: ...because of recent heavy downpours, potholes have opened up all over certain roads and suburban areas. Blocking off many streets and communities...

This- I texted Aly about this during PE, it's happened before. There were mudslides blocking highways and potholes that opened up. It wasn't as extreme as it sounds it was just... surprising. I glanced at the article again. We both dismissed the idea, saying that it was unlikely but-

"There's a map here of where recent potholes are, and," Luke grabbed the phone and started scrolling.

"Hold on," said Gavin, "How does this affect us?"

"Look!"

They held up the phone again, this time a picture of a map lit up the screen, a few blue dots were spread out across it. "These are potholes," Luke's finger pointed at one of the blue dots, "And this is our location." It was pretty close to a blue dot. Great.

I exhaled and looked at the two of them, "Let's get to the classroom and hear what Mr. Cathler has to say." 

Recently there was hard rain for two days in a row, when I got to school today I felt happy because I could see the sun again, now it's just clouds. We walked the rest of the of the way in silence.

When I got to the classroom a few kids were already there, most of the others were probably still in the change room.

"What's going on?"

"Why aren't we going home?"

"Maybe the Teachers have our hotlunches-"

I wish. My stomach growled, besides Charles completely safe berries and the hoards of snacks the teachers lounge keeps hidden, [ Don't ask how I know that ] there is no food source at school. No hot lunch.

I sat down and went over the things that happened, the announcement of no hot lunch, Mack and Koen, weird recess, PE class, Luke's pothole suspicion... Today was an odd day. And it felt rushed. Like somebody was rushing to shove all these crazy scenarios into one day.

Silence settled over us when Mr. Cathler filed in with the rest of the class. 

"Hello friends," glances were exchanged, last time we were called friends was when the microwave blew up. "No need to pack your bags, sit at your desks- I'll explain."

Mr. Cathler was a really chill teacher, sure, he wasn't the most organized ...but the way he leaned over his desk and sighed deeply just seemed unlike him.

Aly gave me a look that said: What's going on? As she walked over and sat on her desk. I only sighed in response.