1 - The Strange World

Disclaimer: None of the events are historically accurate; Everything is fiction and made-up

Enjoy :)

*********

"But I don't want to get married!" I huff as my mom braids my long hair.

We sit outside on the grass, a typical day we usually spend, as she massages and applies flowers to my hair.

It's just her and I... me and her.... Yeona and mama.

It has always been us as long as I can remember. Living in this small, broken down house in the middle of the forest.

It might seem scary, but my mom protects me. She's the only one I need.

She's the most beautiful, graceful woman I've ever met, well... the only woman I've ever really known. She can do anything especially swordsmanship.

You might have guessed that I'm Yeona! Knight in shining armor protector of this grand forest. Ready to fight off any intruders but welcome any soft bunnies!

My mom taught me everything so far! How to read, how to write, how to fight and how to love.

"You're only 8 years old my beautiful Nari," my mom sweetly says.

My mom likes to call me Nari, which means Lily. Apparently that was supposed to be name until my evil grandmother insisted on me being named Yeona.

Mama sometimes tells me nightmare stories of my grandmother. She's apparently the reason why we're out here in the middle of nowhere... and the reason why father isn't here with us.

"I was too good for your dad. He couldn't handle a woman like me" is what my mom loves to tell me whenever I randomly ask about him.

I can't help but always be curious of the person who let us go so easily.

Why couldn't he fight for something so golden?

"How come I can't cut my hair?!" I then question. My favorite thing to do is ask questions.

My mama knows everything, so she always answers.

"Your legacy is in your hair," mom answers as she places numerous types of flowers in my hair.

I roll my eyes, "Joseon just passed a law saying that men can cut their hair!"

"Nari-ya... you're a young lady. Are you a man? Have you been lying to me this whole time?!" She teases me pinching my cheek.

"Isn't it unfair!" I turn to face my mother. "Men get to wear pants, cut their hair, and have swords to work better and harder!"

Joseon is forever changing but in the terms of men. I want to be able to make a change, but I can't because I'm a girl? Why are we treated so unfairly?

Mom grabs my hands and looks me in my eyes.

"That's the wonderful, amazing thing about women. Nothing can hold us back from doing something great. We are better fighters and workers than all the men combined in Joseon... and guess what?"

"What?" I question.

"We do it all in a dress," she caresses my face. "Now..."

She stands up and reaches her hand out to me.

"Ready for a sword lesson?"

- 3rd Person PoV -

The people of Joseon are in a frenzy after King Yeonsuk has suddenly passed away. After leading the country for only 9 years, the kingdom must look to Queen Dowager to continue the throne duties.