06. BESTIES ON A BOAT

𝐌𝐀𝐈𝐀 𝐒𝐀𝐓 𝐀𝐍𝐗𝐈𝐎𝐔𝐒𝐋𝐘 as Reyna studied them. She looked like she was mentally writing her own obituary.

"Very well," she said. "Nothing remains except for us to vote on what support we can give the quest – transportation, money, magic, weapons."

"Praetor, if I may," Octavian said.

"Oh, great," Percy muttered. "Here it comes."

"The camp is in grave danger," Octavian said. "Two gods have warned us we will be attacked four days from now. We must not spread our resources too thin, especially by funding projects that have a slim chance of success."

Octavian looked at the three of them with pity, as if to say, Poor little things. "Mars has clearly chosen the least likely candidates for this quest. Perhaps that is because he considers them the most expendable. Perhaps Mars is playing the long odds. Whatever the case, he wisely didn't order a massive expedition, nor did he ask us to fund their adventure. I say we keep our resources here and defend the camp. This is where the battle will be lost or won. If these four succeed, wonderful! But they should do so by their own ingenuity."

An uneasy murmur passed through the crowd. Before any of them could start a fight, Percy said, "Fine! No problem. But at least give us transportation. Gaia is the earth goddess, right? Going overland, across the earth – I'm guessing we should avoid that. Plus, it'll be too slow."

Octavian laughed. "Would you like us to charter you an aeroplane?"

The idea made Maia nauseous. She'd only ever been out flying with Jason, but him flying around like a blonde Superman was nothing compared to an airplane. Maia trusted Jason. A flying death machine? Not so much.

Before she could say anything, Percy spoke. "No. Air travel ... I have a feeling that would be bad, too. But a boat. Can you at least give us a boat?"

Hazel made a grunting sound. Maia glanced over. She shook her head and mouthed, Fine. I'm fine.

"A boat!" Octavian turned to the senators. "The son of Neptune wants a boat. Sea travel has never been the Roman way, but he isn't much of a Roman!" Maia rolled her eyes at him.

"Octavian," Reyna said sternly, "a boat is little enough to ask. And providing no other aid seems very –"

"Traditional!" Octavian exclaimed. "It is very traditional. Let us see if these questers have the strength to survive without help, like true Romans!"

More muttering filled the chamber. The senators' eyes moved back and forth between Octavian and Reyna, watching the test of wills.

Reyna straightened in her chair. "Very well,"she said tightly. "We'll put it to a vote. Senators, the motion is as follows: the quest shall go to Alaska. The senate shall provide full access to the Roman navy docked at Alameda. No other aid will be forthcoming. The three adventurers will survive or fail on their own merits. All in favor?"

Every senator's hand went up.

"The motion is passed." Reyna turned to Frank.

"Centurion, your party is excused. The senate has other matters to discuss. And, Octavian, if I may confer with you for a moment."

Hazel picked up a large emerald from the path and slipped it in her pocket. "So ... we're pretty much toast?"

Frank nodded miserably. "If any of you wants to back out, I wouldn't blame you."

"Are you kidding?" Hazel said. "And pull sentry duty for the rest of the week?"

Frank managed a smile. He turned to Percy. "I'm with you," he told Frank. "Besides, I want to check out the Roman navy."