13. EVERYONE HATES SHRIMPZILLA

THEY DIDN'T MAKE it to the ship.

Halfway across the dock, three giant eagles descended in front of them. Each deposited a Roman commander in purple and denim with glittering gold armor, sword, and shield. The eagles flew away, and the Roman in the middle, who was scrawnier than the others, raised his visor.

Yikes. Maia honestly deserved an award for all the shit she had to put up with relating to Octavian.

"Surrender to Rome!" Octavian shrieked.

Hazel drew her cavalry sword and grumbled, "Fat chance, Octavian."

By himself, the augur wouldn't have bothered her, but the two other guys looked like seasoned warriors—a lot bigger and stronger than the girls wanted to deal with.

Piper raised her hands in a placating gesture. "Octavian, what happened at camp was a setup. We can explain."

"Can't hear you!" Octavian yelled. "Wax in our ears—standard procedure when battling evil sirens. Now, throw down your weapons and turn around slowly so I can bind your hands."

"Let me skewer him," Hazel muttered. "Please."

"I'll help you." Maia glared at him.

The ship was only fifty feet away, but Maia didn't see coach on deck. Jason's group wasn't due back until sunset, and Percy would be underwater, unaware of the invasion. They were stuck.

Once again, Maia felt totally useless. She'd use her powers, but they were surrounded. Trying to stop so many people would drain her and just make her more of a nuisance to the team. She didn't know what to do, and she hated it.

The eagles circled overhead, crying out as if to alert their brethren: Hey, some tasty Greek demigods over here!

"Well?" Octavian demanded. His two friends brandished their swords.

Very slowly, using only two fingers, Annabeth drew her dagger. Instead of dropping it, she tossed it as far as she could into the water.

Maia was confused for a second, but then she realized. Percy was underwater. Annabeth was trying to get his attention. Gods, she was a genius.

Octavian made a squeaking sound. "What was that for? I didn't say toss it! That could've been evidence. Or spoils of war!"

Annabeth gave him a dumb-blonde smile, like: Oh, silly me. Nobody who knew her would have been fooled. But Octavian seemed to buy it. Idiot.

"You..." He pointed his blade at the remaining girls. "Put your weapons on the dock. No funny bus—"

All around the Romans, Charleston Harbor erupted. When the wall of seawater subsided, the three Romans were in the bay, spluttering and frantically trying to stay afloat in their armor. Percy stood on the dock, holding Annabeth's dagger. Maia grinned at him.

"You dropped this," he said, totally poker-faced.

Annabeth threw her arms around him. "I love you!"

"Guys," Hazel interrupted. She had a little smile on her face. "We need to hurry."

Down in the water, Octavian yelled, "Get me out of here! I'll kill you!"

"Tempting," Percy called down.

"What?" Octavian shouted. He was holding on to one of his guards, who was having trouble keeping them both afloat.

"Nothing!" Percy shouted back. "Let's go, guys."

Hazel frowned. "We can't let them drown, can we?"

"I mean... I think that's a great idea." Cassie smiled innocently.