09. ONE OF THE BOYS

MAIA WOULD HAVE BEEN embarrassed if anybody other than Cassie had found her, but because it was the daughter of Apollo, she really didn't care.

She poked Jason's sleeping face, smiling when he scrunched his nose up in protest.

"Jason." She tried poking him again.

He shifted this time, but only slightly. "Five more minutes."

He was cute, she had to admit that, but she was getting annoyed, especially with Cassie and Piper looming at the doorway. She shook him awake until he finally sat up.

He playfully glared at her. "What was that for?"

"Well–"

"As cute as this is," Piper's voice interrupted her, "I'd say you have like thirty minutes to get to your cabins before Coach realizes you weren't there at all last night. He's starting his rounds."

"Who's fault is that, exactly?" Maia gave them both a pointed look.

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever. Now go get ready, we're meeting in the mess hall." Piper said, smiling.

"You're welcome, by the way." Cassie winked and followed her girlfriend out.

Maia heard Jason's laugh next to her and turned to him, smiling.

"Hi," he said.

"Hi."

He kissed her on the cheek and helped pull her up. "I'll walk you to your cabin?"

"I'd like that."

It was barely twenty steps away, but Maia didn't mind, especially not when Jason was leaning against her door frame as she entered, a dazzling smile on his face.

"I'll see you in a few?"

"Yeah." He leaned in to kiss her, but she shoved him away. "Go brush your teeth, then I'll kiss you."

She smiled to herself as he shut the door, and she couldn't stop smiling as she got ready. She smiled even brighter when she realized Jason was the only one sitting at the mess hall when she got there.

His eyes sparkled when he saw her. Did they always do that when he looked at her?

"Nobody's here." She said, "Did something happen?"

Jason shrugged. "Locked in a storage closet all night, didn't have time for the morning gossip."

Maia laughed, "At least you had good company."

Jason made a face, "I don't know about that."

Maia's mouth fell open, "Fine, I see my presence isn't needed here. I'll just go find someone else who wants to be with me." She turned around to leave, trying really hard to not break out in laughter, but Jason grabbed her hand and pulled her closer.

"You're not getting away from me that easily, not again."

They smiled at each other, leaning in for a soft kiss.

"Oh my gods, guys. You will never believe what just– holy shit."

˚₊· ͟͟͞͞➳❥

Leo Valdez walking in on them almost kissing was not exactly how Maia wanted her morning to go. Maia was a little embarrassed, and from the looks of it, Jason was too. But Leo didn't seem to care. In fact, he found it funny.

He'd come into the mess hall looking for Percy and Annabeth, who were apparently missing. The rest of the crew was looking for them, Maia and Jason were about to become the newest additions to the search party.