20. MORE FIGHTING, HOORAY!

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐆𝐇𝐎𝐒𝐓𝐒 𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐌𝐄𝐃 𝐑𝐀𝐍𝐊𝐒 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐄𝐍𝐂𝐈𝐑𝐂𝐋𝐄𝐃 the crossroads. There were about a hundred in all – not an entire legion, but more than a cohort. Some carried the tattered lightning-bolt banners of the Twelfth Legion, Fifth Cohort – Michael Varus's doomed expedition from the 1980s.

Others carried standards and insignia that were unfamiliar to Maia, as if they'd died at different times, on different quests – maybe not even from Camp Jupiter. Most were armed with Imperial gold weapons – more Imperial gold than the entire Twelfth Legion possessed.

"Thanatos!" Hazel turned to the robed figure. "We're here to rescue you. If you control these shades, tell them –"

Her voice faltered. The god's hood fell away and his robes dropped off as he spread his wings, leaving him in only a sleeveless black tunic belted at the waist. He was the most beautiful man Maia had ever seen.

His skin was the color of teakwood.. His eyes were as honey gold as Hazel's. He was lean and muscular, with a regal face and black hair flowing down his shoulders. His wings glimmered in shades of blue, black and purple.

Maia had to remind herself that this was death she was talking about, but she also remembered something Jason had taught her – love and death. They were a package deal. So, really, it made sense, how beautiful Thanatos was.

Beautiful was the right word for Thanatos – not handsome, or hot, or anything like that. He was beautiful the way an angel is beautiful – timeless, perfect, remote.

"Oh," Hazel said in a small voice.

The god's wrists were shackled in icy manacles, with chains that ran straight into the glacier floor. His feet were bare, shackled round the ankles and also chained.

"It's Cupid," Frank said.

"A really buff Cupid," Percy agreed.

"You compliment me," Thanatos said. His voice was as gorgeous as he was – deep and melodious. "I am frequently mistaken for the god of love. Death has more in common with Love than you might imagine. But I am Death. I assure you."

"We're – we're here to save you," Hazel managed. "Where's Alcyoneus?"

"Save me ... ?" Thanatos narrowed his eyes. "Do you understand what you are saying, Hazel Levesque? Do you understand what that will mean?"

Percy stepped forward. "We're wasting time."

He swung his sword at the god's chains. Celestial bronze rang against the ice, but Riptide stuck to the chain like glue. Frost began creeping up the blade. Percy pulled frantically. Frank ran to help. Together, they just managed to yank Riptide free before the frost reached their hands.

"That won't work," Thanatos said simply. "As for the giant, he is close. These shades are not mine. They are his."

Thanatos's eyes scanned the ghost soldiers. They shifted uncomfortably, as if an Arctic wind were rattling through their ranks.

"So how do we get you out?" Hazel demanded.

Thanatos turned his attention back to her. "Daughter of Pluto, child of my master, you of all people should not wish me released."

"Don't you think I know that?"

"Listen, Death." She drew her cavalry sword, and Arion reared in defiance. "I didn't come back from the Underworld and travel thousands of miles to be told that I'm stupid for setting you free. If I die, I die. I'll fight this whole army if I have to. Just tell us how to break your chains."