Survival

A quick haze settled over me, as my body ached with every movement. Everything was blurry. My forehead and cheek pulsed. I could barely remember what happened, but then it all came back in a wave.

Newt and I jumped off of the wall of the maze, trying to confuse the griever. Apparently it worked, because the griever didn't jump after us, and one of the maze openings beside us closed just in time. The maze entrance was a few feet away from us. It would hopefully open soon.

"Newt?" I groaned, trying to turn myself over, powering through the pain. "Yeah?" He said, wincing with his every movement. "Just checking if you're alive.." I mumbled. It was a pretty far jump, and I knew he had difficulties with his ankle. But I saved our lives.

I winced yet again, placing a hand on my lower back, trying to support myself on getting off the ground. That was a hell of a first night. I spent it in the shucking maze. Wait, did I just say shucking?

I quickly paced myself over to Newt as fast as I could, trying to help him up. He took my hand and wrapped it tightly around mine, supporting himself. Once we were both stood up, he look at me like I had three heads.

"What?" My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "Your forehead and cheek are bleeding. You must've landed face first, or something." Newt, was in fact, right. I brought one of my fingers up to my forehead, feeling a tiny slice, with blood gushing out. "When we get out, I'll get the medjacks to stitch you up." Medjacks?

"What's a medjack?" I looked at him bewildered. "Clint and Jeff are med-jacks. They help-" Newt was suddenly cut off by the sound of the maze doors rumbling. "They're opening!" I yelled, my face lighting up as Newt smirked. We couldn't really move much, because it hurt so bad. We just stood just there.

The sky was a sort of purplish-blue color, because daybreak was only beginning. I didn't know what to expect when I got back in here, but I knew there would be consequences.

On the other side of the doors, almost all of the guys from the glade were there. Gally, Alby, Chuck, Minho.. That's all I could really name, as of right now. I glanced over to Newt and he had an eyebrow raised curiously. "They're usually not up this early." Before I could respond, all of the guys screamed and cheered and dragged Newt and I in. All of the cheering for aimed for Newt, obviously. Most of these guys just knew me as the crazy girl who they shoved in the maze, and their good ol' friend Newt decided to tag along.

I could many questions emerging from the crowd. "Are you hurt?" "What was the maze like?" "Did you see a griever?" "What was the girl like?"

I was about to walk closer to the crowd, to see what they'd say, when I realized that Newt called me out upon everyone before I could actually do anything.

"Okay, listen up everyone. This greenie,-" I was about to correct him, but he cut me off. "Bella," he nodded, "saved my life in that maze. Don't even ask me why I ran if after her. I don't even bloody know! But we made it. She's a little beat up, though. And my ankle is sore."

The guys were about to thank me, before an all too familiar voice erupted overt everybody's.

"What were you two thinking?" Gally yelled, standing intimidatingly close to me. "You banished me. I couldn't help Newt's actions." I whisper shouted. I could feel everyone's eyes on me. Including Newt's.

By the looks of everything, I could tell Gally was pretty known around here. He seemed like one of the guys you wouldn't mess with, but I didn't care. Not right now, at least. "Well, maybe we should've down it sooner, before our friend Newt here decided to chase after his little girlfriend." Gally grunted, his eyes staring into Newt's furiously.

Alby began to speak up. "Clearly, our rules needs to be reinforced. We need to have another meeting, and if any of you get on with the klunk you did last time, you will be locked away for two nights, no food." The seriousness in Alby's voice was honestly frightening. "Everyone get back to what you were doing. It's early, maybe even try to get in some sleep if you don't have anything important to do."

Gally took once last glance at me before stalking away, not daring to look back. I stood in my spot awkwardly, waiting for someone to do something or say something. "Hey! Bella, right?" A dark skinned boy walked over to me, waving. "Yeah, that's me. The only girl." I chuckled, trying to loosen up. "Newt sent me over, telling me you had some wounds. I can see them. One gash on your forehead, and one on your cheek. In fact, the blood is beginning to fall down your face. Let's get you cleaned up. I'm Jeff, by the way." Jeff was very friendly. He was willing to do anything to help, and he didn't seem so outgoing and stubborn like most of the men here.

Jeff lead me to a shack, and his 'med-jack' friend Clint tagged along. There were stairs when we first arrived at the shack, and to be honest, I was in no shape to climb even stairs right now. I was just so sore. I made it. Eventually..

Jeff directed me to one of the beds, telling me to sit down. Jeff and Clint went through a bunch of their supplies, taking out the right things they needed. Most of the supplies weren't top notch, and kind of unreliable looking, but I suppose you just have to manage in a place like this.

Clint started cleaning up the blood, and the pair made small talk with me. "So, how was the maze?" Clint asked me cautiously, probably trying to not overwhelm me. The cold cloth he was dabbing on my forehead and cheek gave me the shivers. "It was, um.. Dangerous. Scary. It's kind of hard to explain unless you've went in there yourself, and then you know." They both nodded, not bothering to ask me anything else on the topic. These guys were really nice.

I didn't think any of the process of fixing myself up would hurt, but it turns out the stitches did. It hurt the most on my cheek, but I powered through it. Clint handed me a tiny cup of water and a change of clothes.

"Alby told me that you can rest for most of the day, maybe get a shower if you'd like. Just warning you though, the water is pretty cold. You can rest in here until further notice, and I think we'll all be having a meeting later talking about what happened earlier." I nodded, grinning politely. These beds weren't the comfiest thing I could imagine, but they were better than nothing.

I laid my head down on the pillow, staring up at the shack ceiling. The blankets were thin, but I pulled them up to my neck. I couldn't stop thinking about everything that's happened since yesterday. I arrived in this place, miraculously remembered my name, met a really cool guy, he ran into this supposed maze after I was banished from here because I'm a girl.. Everything was just insane. I wondered where Newt was, and what he was doing. He should be here, being checked up on. I could've waited. I was more concerned about is ankle, because it seemed to worry him. My eyes became droopy, and before I knew it, I was drifting off into a relaxing sleep.

-

Hey guys! I hope this chapter is nice and long for you guys. Can we talk about how ugly this new wattpad update is? Just, ew. I'm really trying to update frequently, and I wasn't going to because it's almost 2 AM and I'm tired, but I figured that I owe it to you guys because I abandoned this fanfic for like a few months. I won't be updating this fanfic anymore this weekend 'cause I'm actually kind of busy, but I'll probably update sometime next week. I also hope you guys enjoy that little graphic at the beginning of the chapter! It took me forever to crop the stitches onto Emily (Bella's) face. I hope you enjoyed all of this. :)