"far apart"

"so..what was that all about?"

y/n sat on the bleachers with mei mei and her friends. they were all
around them, looking concerned.

"i..i honestly don't know." y/n mumbled, slumped over in their seat and on the brink tears, "maybe i should've ate with tyler? i mean we haven't seen each other in five years, he deserves to spend some time alone with me."

priya rubbed their back, "that's what i was asking about. the not seeing each other for five years thing." 

"tyler and i used to be best friends when we were younger."

abby gasped, "i didn't think tyler had any close friends!"

y/n chuckled, "well, he did..we used to do everything together..."

hugging themself close, they reminisced about their childhood with tyler.

playing at recess together.

always being partners in class.

hanging out in the park.

sleepovers and slumber parties.

just the two of them.

"but then i moved."

"why?" miriam asked.

shrugging, y/n played with their fingers, "my dads said something about needing a change of scenery? i dunno, they made the decision so suddenly that i didnt have time to hangout with tyler one last time. i did manage to say goodbye though, it was quick but at least i got to see him before leaving."

mei mei tapped a finger on her chin, "he said something about changing right when you left? maybe the loss of his best friend turned him bitter..?"

miriam hummed, "that's exactly what happened."

"this is all my fault. i left and now he bullies you mei.." y/n sighed, running a hand through their hair, "sorry.."

"no! you had nothing to do with tyler being mean to me!" mei mei waved her hands frantically in denial, "he just reacted very badly to you moving!"

"hey, tell you what y/n." miriam started, diffusing the conversation, "we're going karaoke-ing after school today  wanna come with?"

"ehh..i dunno, maybe i should try apologizing to tyler first?" 

abby shook her head, "nuh-uh! we need to focus on cheering you up! IT'S TOP PRIORITY!!" 

"tyler probably needs cool off somewhere else anyways.." priya added.

"hmm.." y/n hummed in thought. karaoke with the girls does sound fun..

"so??"

the girls were looking at y/n expectantly, waiting for their answer.

smiling, y/n nodded, "alright then. i'll go karaoke-ing with you guys."

"WOO! ALRIGHT!"
"yeahh!!"
"yay."

cheering, the girls hugged y/n close, squealing about how much fun they're all gonna have together.

somewhere across the bleachers, someone watched the scene in jealousy.

"replaced me so quickly.." tyler clicked his tongue, shoving his hands into the pockets of his hoodie and walked away.