"try"

"y/n, where were you at first period?"

abby asked, sitting beside her friend at their usual lunch table. y/n shot her an awkward smile, playing with their fingers a bit.

"uh, about first period, i kinda...skipped?" they confessed.

"yOU WHAT!?" abby exclaimed, "DID TYLER FORCE YOU TO? YOU WERE WITH HIM BEFORE THE BELL RANG!" 

abby's outburst made y/n hastily place their hands over her mouth, trying to silence her,, "c-calm down, dude! tyler didn't force me to do anything!"

"what did tyler force you to do?"

miriam's voice was heard behind them. she and priya had just walked up to the lunch table, concerned looked on their face.

"nothing!" y/n defended, "he didn't do anything!"

breaking free of their hands, abby yelled, "TYLER FORCED THEM TO SKIP CLASS WITH HIM!"

"he did not!"

sitting down, miriam crossed her arms, "okay, if he didn't do anything..where were you two at first period?"

"we were under the bleachers."

the girls gasped, already thinking the worst. two people alone under the bleachers? there is only one thing they could be doing...

"...were you two kissing?" priya asked, a horrified look on her face.

y/n's face burned a dark red, "wHAT?! NO!"

an image of them and tyler kissing entered their mind making them blush even harder. they felt their heart beat faster but ignored it.

"we were just talking, that's it!"

"what about?" miriam asked, pulling out her lunch.

thinking back to what happened under the bleachers, y/n's expression visibly fell. should they tell their friends? that they were the reason why they're being tormented because they left?

"...nothing important." they said, eyes looking towards tyler who sat on the other side of the canteen.

shrugging, miriam decided to drop the subject and started to change the subject. y/n was thankful that she let it go and joined the conversation but in the back of their mind, they couldn't help but think about tyler. they wanted to fix things with him, make things better but now that they knew that they had hurt him so deeply, they didn't think it was that good of an idea anymore.

feeling eyes on them, they looked to where tyler sat. the boy was staring at them, brows furrowed and gaze longing. y/n bit their lip, fighting the urge to join tyler at his table.

'i have to give him space...' they reminded to themself, forcing their eyes to look away. even from the far end of canteen, they could hear tyler sigh. maybe they could try to fix things, just try.