3. whatever happens, happens

I looked at myself from head to toe, in the long wall mirror in the hallway, studying my appearance. Blonde hair tied into a loose bun, with strands falling down the sides of my face. Beige cardigan that hung by my sides and topped off my white sweater. Ripped, washed out blue jeans. White sneakers.

Feeling content about my looks, I walked off to the kitchen area with a smile on my face, to find my daughter on her tiptoes, measuring the rice.

The amazing smell filled my nostrils as, step after step, I got closer to the stove. I think it's fantastic how the template of every dish alone can smell this amazingly good.

"Is the rice ready, love?" I asked as I approached her. She nodded and hummed in agreement and I gave her my approval to drop the rice on the pan, which was filled with nothing but olive oil, chopped onions and garlic.

With a wooden spoon, I stirred the rice, gently and slowly. After placing the lid on top of the pan, I made my way towards the table - located in the centre of the kitchen -, and took a seat on one of the chairs, while Lexi followed me.

"Mummy, can you braid my hair?"

"Sure." I smiled and tapped on my lap with my hands. "Hop on."

She did as told with a bright smile on her face, and, with a bright smile on mine, I ran my fingers through her blonde hair before dividing it into three large chunks, preparing for the braiding.

We did this a lot, me and Lexi. We'd often spend our time cooking and, just like everything in life, cooking takes time. And we must have patience for the ingredients we drop onto the pans to become food. So, Lexi and I usually spend the rest of our time at the kitchen table doing all sorts of things while we wait for the food to become a meal. She draws, I write down recipes I create, she does her homework and I help her with it.

At the sound of the bell ringing, I turned off the little radio I kept in the kitchen, shutting off the jazz music that was currently playing in the background.

Knowing exactly who it was that we were expecting, Lexi beat me to it, and ran off to the front door, looking at me for permission to open it. I gave her a nod and she opened the front door, a huge grin on her face.

"Uncle Luc!" She said, jumping up and down in excitement.

"How's my little princess doing?" Lucas asked her, before bending down to hug her and kiss her cheek.

I walked to the front door and gestured for Lexi to scooth to the side so they could walk inside the house, with all their kids and their belongings.

My brother Lucas and his wife Nicole, with their two kids, were coming over for dinner tonight. It was my first Saturday night off in a while, and I decided to invite them over to catch up and spend some time with my nephew and niece.

Nicole came into Lucas' life almost four years ago. Their love was practically written in the stars, and after a year of dating, she got pregnant with my nephew - Leo. They got married right before having him and, a couple of years later she got pregnant with my niece - Violet -, who was now just turning six months old.

Nicole and Lucas make a really cute couple and they make really cute kids. They are pretty much the closest thing to a perfect couple.

I liked Nicole right when I met her for the first time, and time only allowed for me to know and like her more, and for us to grow closer. She is pretty much like the sister I never had.

"Ah, she's perfect." I said, almost in a whisper as I looked down at Violet, who was laying on the stroller.

"She is." Nicole agreed with a beaming smile. "Each day that goes by, I am more and more in love with her."