28. the definition of magical

"Lexi's swim classes are on Tuesdays and Thursdays. All her documentation is inside a pink box, in her closet. Also, don't give her too much sugar after five, or she won't sleep through the night."

Today was the day I would be going to court, attending the trial David's team had so cordially invited me to. Gregory and Charlotte would be obviously coming with me, since they were officially my lawyers, and would be representing me in this case. And boy oh boy... did I need their help!

"I'm going to sign a note that says you'll be responsible for picking her up from school. And if she gets sick, the number and email of her paediatrician is on the fridge. He's really great, he usually always answers."

"I don't need you to tell me any of that. You'll be coming back home in one piece."

I wasn't totally sure about that, and I seemed to be alone in all of the doubts. Everybody else were very positive about the development of the case, I couldn't help but feel like I was going to hand myself in a silver platter for David's team to use and abuse me and my reasons to save his lousy ass. Sébastien had full confidence in his friends who were helping me, and Lucas, despite being caught off guard and being sad that I had never told him about it, was very supportive of me and kept telling me that I'd be okay and everything would work out.

But it is so hard to think that everything will turn out for the best when so many things can go wrong. It's difficult to see the bright side.

Sébastien really wanted to come with me today and be there for me, but I was quick to tell him no. I didn't want to bring anyone with me to sit on the benches and my lawyers were the first to agree that that would be a nice move. This is between me and David, and he's clearly out of blood... I don't want anyone I love near him when he doesn't get his way. If he doesn't.

So, I thought today would be the perfect opportunity for Sébastien to stay at home with Lexi and watch her. Lucas and Nicole volunteered and I promptly thanked them but declined their offer.

Plus, after I got to think of everything, the worst case scenario would include me going to prison, when I would be forced to leave Lexi. And if there was one thing I knew for sure was that I couldn't or wouldn't leave her with David, nor would I let him ever get close to my baby. I had made my decision. If, when Lexi grew up and learned the whole truth, she still wants to get to know him and spend time with him, that's a choice she would have to make herself.

Considering that possibility, I couldn't simply just count on my brother. I knew Lucas wouldn't mind and I knew that he would gladly take her into his home and treat her like his own daughter, like he always has, but at the same time, it isn't fair to do that to him, not when he's always, without exception, been there for me and Lexi. He's got his own family now.

When that realisation hit me, I was faced with a choice I had to make and I knew that despite not being an ideal decision, Sébastien was one of my first answers to my issue. It also helped that he promptly offered to stay with Lexi right before I even put my doubts and questions into words. And Lexi does love Sébastien. I knew that if it came to that, leaving her with him would be a good option.

"Mel, everything will be okay today. I trust Charlotte and Gregory with my life and if they think that your chances are good, I believe them."

"I can't help but think about the what ifs."

"What what ifs?"

"What if his team has a trick up their sleeve that neither Charlotte or Gregory can see coming?"

Seb sighed.

"What if they know more than they're letting on? What if they have witnesses and evidence and... what if they charge me for hiding Lexi from him?