Chapter One

Cash didn't know when he first noticed you. He couldn't remember when you started working backstage at AEW.

But he knew when he first really saw you. Two tables across from him, all by yourself at catering. You didn't want to be disturbed, the headphones blasting rock music he could still hear at his table, along with the book in your hand made that very clear. 'A Tale of Two Cities' by Charles Dickens.

'A sucker for the classics', he thought to himself while chewing on a piece of chicken, and smiled. He liked that thought, mostly because he, too, enjoyed classic literature. At least he had, when he had the time to read.

Recently, it had just been hectic with signing with AEW, moving into his newly bought house and just day to day life during the pandemic.

Dax realized he had lost his friend's attention some minutes ago. He waited patiently for Cash to snap back to reality and when he didn't, he followed his partner's gaze.

''Really, Cash? The stagehand? She's not even your type.'' He said, tilting his head a little to come into Cash's view.

The younger man's eyes grew wide and his cheeks turned a light shade of pink. ''What?! I wasn't even checking her out! And what do you mean 'not my type'? I don't have a type.'' He replied sheepishly.

''Yes, you do. Long-legged, blue-eyed bombshells, preferably with blonde, wavy hair. And she's....none of that. Don't get me wrong, I'm all in for you trying something new, but this seems...drastic. I mean, she even has a sidecut and-''

''Would you just stop it! I wasn't checking her out and I'm not trying to 'get together'. I was just looking at the book, that's all. I miss reading.''

Although he didn't fully believe him, Dax was content with his answer because he didn't further investigate on the matter. And Cash even believed it himself for a second. That is, until your eyes left your book and landed directly on him, only for a brief moment. Then, upon realizing you were being watched, you instantly looked down at the pages again.

Why was Cash Wheeler staring at you? Was he still doing it? Should you check if he still was?

You peeked over the edge of the book, and still felt his gaze. His expression had changed though: Before you spotted a serious expression on his features, now he was.......smiling. At you.

'Wow, what a smile' was all you could think. But then again, it shouldn't have surprised you the way it had. He was a gorgeous man after all. Unlike most of the wrestlers you saw at work, he didn't look like the blueprint of some comic book hero. He didn't have a six-pack, wasn't 6''4'. But he was gorgeous and looked more like a real person to you. Like a real man, not some teenage girl’s nighttime fantasy. Very handsome, very out of your league.

And he was smiling at you.

Before your brain could comprehend what was going on, you felt the corner of your mouth rise into a smile of your own. Then, anxiety crept into your bones. Suddenly, you felt very seen. And you preferred to stay invisible for the most part. You were a loner, always had been. Just the way you liked it.

So you stood up, grabbed your book and phone and left, trying your hardest not to look like you were running away from him – while exactly doing that.

Cash sat there, blankly staring at the now empty spot in front of him. You had to have the darkest eyes he had ever seen, almost black.