Chapter Ten

We all quickly left the house and I made sure to trail the boys. I couldn't stand the idea of my back being exposed. They walked quickly and my legs strained to keep up. 

Just as I realized that they said we had to get to cars, Hercule opened a door, exposing an extensive garage. My jaw dropped. I couldn't believe how many cars the boys had. I understood that they were rich, but my goodness, this must've cost them millions... not that that was much money for them to spend. Shaking my head, I trailed after them and deeper into the garage. Each car was parked in rows, like a mini parking garage. This was insane. The opulence of the house was something but this, this was more than I would have ever imagined. 

My eyes flashed from car to car, trying to take in as many details as I could. Two strong hands grasped my shoulders and I immediately turned to whoever touched me. Léon was holding both my shoulders and quickly let go of them when he realized that I was staring at him. He touched me. Touched me. My body started to shake and he looked at me with worry before it was masked again. Tapping my fingers, I crossed my arms to try and hide how labored my breathing had gotten. His eyes flashed to my chest and his brow furrowed before Hercule pushed his shoulder and gestured for him to climb in. 

Hercule turned to me a moment later and I swallowed. In front of me was a gray SUV. I couldn't believe that I didn't even realize we had stopped walking because we reached the car. He motioned for me to get into the car and I reluctantly climbed inside. Two rows crowded the car and I was forced to sit in the way back, between Valentin and no one other than Léon himself. He tossed me a quick glare before turning forward and poking at Matthieu's head.

Hercule climbed in, buckled himself in, and turned the car on. I jumped at the sudden noise and Léon chuckled. I couldn't believe that he would do that. I couldn't control how I reacted around noises... or people for that matter. No, I wouldn't think about that. It wasn't his fault, it was mine for being scared. The boys would be the same as Rachel and Neil if they realized how weak I was. That was the best-case scenario. The worst case was that they would abandon me, and force me back into a broken system. I would end up becoming another number on another list then. Another death that wasn't counted because I didn't have anyone. No one would care if little old me died, and why should they? I had no family left, and nobody wants a girl that's broken beyond repair. A girl who couldn't mutter a single word to save her own life.

Tears gathered at the corners of my eyes but I wiped them away with a sniffle. Strength was given to others when weakness was shown; this was a group that didn't need more strength. 

"You okay?" I turned my head. Valentin's kind words shocked me to the core. My eyes searched his, kindness wasn't something that I was used to. His chocolate eyes were warm and held something I couldn't place. My eyes were still searching his as I nodded my head. "D'accord." He smiled at me, his lips turning up into a strikingly familiar shape. I couldn't place where I had seen it before but I remembered it, almost like it was a distant dream. "You should sleep mon étoile. We will be in the car for a while longer." My head shook, I didn't want to sleep. If I slept then my body would be left unprotected. I couldn't do that to myself.
"You will be tired later if you don't." I shook my head again but a yawn slipped through, clearly exposing how tired I truly was. He shook his head, before pushing my head onto his shoulder and wrapping an arm around my torso, pulling me closer to him. I tried to protest but my attempts were futile. I mean, his shoulder was comfortable; and he did smell good.

Slowly, my eyes shut. 

***

My body being shifted caused me to wake up. I grumbled and turned my head, relishing the familiar sense of comfort. A chuckle resonated and my eyes snapped open, peering into Valentin's gleaming eyes.