Chapter Fifteen

I blinked rapidly and looked for the voice; but, just as soon as the crowd appeared it was gone. 

My brothers were looking around frantically before spotting me and hurrying over.

"We thought something happened to you belle! Are you okay? Are you hurt?" I shrugged my shoulders and began to walk towards the shopping center exit. Was I fine? No, not really. There were so many things going through my head. Who were the people that kept telling me stuff? Why did mom and dad never tell me I had siblings? What would I do about the notes if I got more? 

The thoughts spiraled and before I had even realized it, we were back at the car. Valentin and the others got in quickly but I stalled momentarily. Suddenly, the thought of being in something so small felt suffocating. My breathing escalated as I slowly backed away from the car. 

"Nadia? What's wrong?" Valentin got out and I shook my head, holding my hands out to try and keep them away. "If you don't tell us we can't help you mon étoile." My head shook again before I crumpled to the ground. For once, I was glad the guys had insisted on carrying my bags. Had I been carrying them, they would've ended up sitting on the ground next to me.

A strong set of arms scooped underneath me and I shrieked in fear before relaxing as Matthieu's smell overwhelmed my senses. 

"Valentin, sit in front please. I'll sit with her in back." Valentin nodded his head and quickly moved to the front seat as Matthieu carried me to the car. He sat down and gently held me in his lap. The proximity was getting to my mind, I couldn't bear to be this close to anyone, ever. "Bébé, can you help me out here... what hurts?" I mewled and shook my head. Everything hurt. My head, my heart, my soul, my memories, my scars. Each one was like a dagger that kept digging deeper and deeper. Each time anything hit me the handle was twisted and I crumbled. 

Matthieu continued to hold me close and for that I was appreciative. As much as I said I hated his proximity, I knew that if I was sitting alone I would have been going insane. 

***

When we got back to the house, the guys helped me carry my stuff to my room. 

Armel was helping me unpack some of the bags when his phone began ringing. He pulled it from his pocket and frowned before giving me an apologetic smile and leaving me. I watched him go before getting up and closing the door. 

After I was sure that he was occupied and no one else was coming, I pulled the leotard I bought from the bag. Carefully, I undressed and slipped it on. Grimacing as I saw the exposed scars and burns. It was horrifying to look at. My body was marred in some way or form over most of the skin. At least the physical ones would heal over time, the mental ones never would. 

Shaking my head to clear it, I lifted my leg into an arabesque, keeping my toes pointed. I smiled as I watched my body go through the familiar movements. Ugly or not, dance was something that made me feel elegant.

A sudden knock on the door had me scrambling before Annette's gentle voice rang out. "Dinner is served, mon chérie."

I changed quickly back into my clothes from earlier and threw the leotard into the back of my closet. It felt like a waste of money but I knew deep down that it would never see the light of day again. 

Making my way downstairs, I heard the sound of silverware and smiled at the smell of fresh-cooked food. 

***

Everyone else was already present and sitting down. A small plate of pasta was sitting in front of my usual chair. My brothers may not understand my meager appetite but Annette surely did, and for that I was happy. She would never force me to eat anything. Plus she also seemed to understand my moods or feelings like they were her own.