Honest Mistakes

"She punched one of the samurai down in the city," said Hideyoshi, who had a strong grip on Aiko's head, forcing her to bow down before their lord and savior Nobunaga.

Nobunaga didn't seem to care in the slightest. Aiko wondered if he was in a humorous mood, but then decided that could backfire on her. Someone once told her serial killers liked to kill when they were happy.

"Why did you do that?" he asked, addressing her. Considering she was currently a woman in the 16th century, that alone was a surprising development.

While Aiko was contemplating Nobunaga's sense of morals, Hideyoshi looked at her. "Speak."

"He was trying to assault a girl," said Aiko, shrugging unsuccessfully. "I couldn't just stand there and watch."

"You've got spirit," mused Nobunaga.

"How do you feel after punching him?" asked a man with an eyepatch. His other sky-blue eye was twinkling. Aiko placed his name from his appearance—the One-Eyed Dragon, Masamune Date.

"Brilliant," she said, shifting her feet. "But my hand hurts."

Hearing a cough, she looked around to see someone attempting to hide laughter. Aiko's sea-blue eyes met gold ones, snow-kissed hair falling into them. If memory of the rumors down in the city served, he was Mitsuhide Akechi—warlord, traitor, and one of the city's resident heartbreakers.

"Let her go," said Nobunaga, waving a hand dismissively. "You seem to have gotten the wrong person."

Aiko nodded, and Hideyoshi's grip loosened enough for her to pull back. "Would you like me to track down the samurai, my lord?"

Nobunaga shook his head. "Leave it."

While they conversed, Aiko stood up, trying to bring sensation back to her leg. The wind whistled, and along with it came the sound of death.

Too bewildered to call out a warning, she shoved Nobunaga down as an arrow flew through the window, scratching her arm before embedding itself into the wall. Her kimono dripped red, and the cut was hurting more than it should have.

Hideyoshi and Mitsuhide were already on the move, both of them moving faster than Aiko's eyes could track. The leaves rustled once more, before all was still. A hand under her arm, and Masamune pulled her up.

"Thanks," said Aiko, as Masamune nodded.

"You acted fast."

"I have good hearing." Aiko indicated her ears.

Masamune looked amused as he tilted his head. "Like a kitten."

Aiko, remembering the lord of the castle she'd just shoved, looked around at Nobunaga, who had gotten up as well. To her relief, he was smiling, his eyes thoughtful.

"You've saved my life. What's your name?"

"Aiko Haruki." Whether it was teachers or warlords, Aiko knew it was never a good thing when someone asked for your name.

Mitsuhide and Hideyoshi returned, Hideyoshi muttering curses under his breath. Mitsuhide had a thin smile on his face. "They got away." Hideyoshi's eyes narrowed as he looked at Aiko, and for a second, she felt like a trapped mouse. "How did you know there was someone there?"

Fury arose in her as she realized what he was insinuating. "I heard the arrow. It's hardly my fault if you're deaf!"

He stepped forward, but Mitsuhide and Masamune held him back. "That's a woman."

"And a possible assassin!"

"Then why would I save Lord Nobunaga?"

"A bit of torture would be revelatory, don't you think?" hummed Mitsuhide, whose smile hadn't changed at all.