Powerful Powerlessness

When Aiko woke up again, Mitsuhide was the only one by her bedside, sitting serenely as if he had nothing else to do—which was unlikely.

"Aren't you busy?"

He smiled, but didn't answer. She pulled herself up, feeling well-rested. Aiko turned to face him, and he grabbed her face with both hands, bumping his forehead against hers. Her heart skipped a beat as his eyes bore into hers.

"Your fever has gone down." She could feel his breath on her face.

"You could've just asked!"

He let go with a laugh, and Aiko fanned herself, trying to get the blood back down from her face.

"What happened while I was out?" she asked, fiddling with the blankets.

He sat back. "Do you recall the arrow incident? The one which got you a permanent place in the palace?"

"Yes? I have many questions regarding why I'm still in the palace, but I'll refrain from asking them now."

"It was Kennyo. He was getting desperate."

"And you got this information from...?" His eyes darkened slightly, and she nodded. "Right, never mind."

"Hideyoshi's been taking care of the rebellions as they pop up, and it appears that too was a plot by Kennyo."

Aiko considered that statement. "Hideyoshi is the best person for the job, no doubt about that." Mitsuhide's expression softened by a fragment, and Aiko caught that, but didn't comment. "So the internal disturbances in Shingen and Kenshin's territory were done by Kennyo as well? But what does he have to gain from that?"

Mitsuhide didn't answer, but watched silently, waiting for her to find the answer.

"Oh. He wants both of our territories to be weakened so he can take us both down."

Mitsuhide nodded.

"That's actually rather smart," said Aiko, impressed.

"For a monk, it's unsightly." Mitsuhide sighed, and then looked at her again. "You had questions about why you're still in the palace?"

"Yep. Nobunaga hates me. Why am I still here?" she said bluntly.

"He doesn't hate you, little one. He's just rude. And you have done a good deal for us, so I would say you're the lucky charm he accuses you of being."

"Should you really be talking about your boss like this?" asked Aiko, as Mitsuhide started laughing.

"As long as you or I don't tell him, it's fine," said Mitsuhide, tracing a finger on her lips. "And speaking of that—"

"Don't threaten me! My lips are sealed."

He nodded in content.

         ✮

When Aiko invited Mai out into the city again, Mai jumped at the chance. Heading down to the city for the 'date,' Aiko spent the day observing everything Mai liked, which included clothes, clothes and more clothes. She didn't seem like a vain woman, so Aiko supposed she was more interested in designs and the needlework, which was proved when Mai started tracing a finger over the stitches. It was nightfall before they knew it, and they started heading back.

Three men surrounded them, blocking their exit from all sides of the street, almost as if it were planned. "We're in trouble," said Mai, as Aiko stepped in front of her. Aiko remembered that Mai had no formal training in self-defense, and made a mental note to tell someone later.

"Who are you here for?" asked Aiko, folding her arms and tilting her head innocently.

"Mai Mizusaki, the princess-chatelaine of Azuchi."