Secrets And Loyalty

When word reached Aiko about Mai having passed out in the battle, she was rather surprised, but then she reminded herself that the normal 21st century girl has never seen war, let alone death. Aiko decided to pay Mai a visit, inviting herself to her room. Mai was fast asleep, and Ieyasu made to walk out as she entered.

Aiko, remembering some unfinished business, called out to him. "Ieyasu?"

He turned, his hand on the door. "What is it?"

"Thank you for saving me a while ago." Aiko bowed.

He turned away. "That was on Lord Nobunaga's orders."

Aiko smiled as Ieyasu's ears turned slightly red. She had the desire to tease him, but then thought better of it, seeing as he was the medical head and could probably make her life difficult if he wanted. Aiko waved a hand as Ieyasu walked out, and then took a seat beside Mai.

Aiko watched her steady breathing, the rhythm of someone who was asleep. It was gentle, a reminder that she was alive from the war, unlike the rest of them who'd died. The scene of the battle flashed across her eyes again, the still bodies and glassy eyes dancing across her vision.

A thump on the ceiling interrupted her thoughts. "Is someone there?" she called out.

Silence.

"If you don't come down now, I'll tell Nobunaga to spike the ceiling."

Someone dropped down from the ceiling, with a flash of green and black. Aiko took a moment to consider his appearance. Definitely the textbook definition of a ninja. But a ninja with glasses? That was new.

"Your name?" she asked.

"Mitsuha—Ahem. Sasuke Sarutobi."

Aiko's lips twitched. "You're from the future as well." There was no room for argument in her words, it was a simple observation.

Sasuke nodded, and then considered her. "Mai did mention you, but she didn't go into the specifics."

"Because she doesn't know the specifics." Aiko paused. "You're not a part of the Oda troops, so who are you allied with? Uesugi and Takeda?" Sasuke nodded hesitantly, and Aiko tilted her head. "Shingen pulled back from the battlefield yesterday. I wondered why."

"Kenshin did as well, didn't you hear? He was facing Nobunaga head-on in the front lines." He looked over to Mai, who hadn't stirred. "He saw her."

"Why did he pull back?"

"Chaos in Kasugayama. Internal skirmishes have popped up." He seemed to have realized what he'd said as Aiko nodded, pieces falling into place. "You're not going to tell Nobunaga, are you?"

Aiko considered that. "Under threat of torture I might. But otherwise no. I have no loyalty to him."

Sasuke let out a breath of relief.

"How much longer until Mai can get home?" she asked, brushing Mai's hair back from her face.

"Three months. Would you like to come as well?"

Aiko shook her head. "I transmigrated. I don't exist in your timeline." Hearing footsteps, she turned to the door. "Nobunaga's coming."

Sasuke disappeared as the door opened. Aiko took a moment to appreciate the clean and quick disappearance. Standing up, she made her way out, ducking past Nobunaga at the door.

"Aiko."

She walked faster, pretending not to hear and knowing she'd face the consequences later.

At the war council later that day—which Mai had a free pass from because she was recovering—Aiko took a seat beside Mitsuhide, who summarized what had happened in the war. Aiko spent that time wondering if she'd have had a free pass if she was injured too.