Tiger on the Battlefield

Aiko burned the midnight oil that night. Literally. It was pre-electric era, and everyone had gone to sleep, but sleep evaded her-her mind was reeling too much over the day's events. Deciding she wasn't getting any rest, she lit a candle and pulled out her scrolls, reading again. The door opened, and Aiko looked up in surprise-she hadn't heard anyone.

Mitsuhide walked in, and his eyes lit up like gold in the candlelight. "You shouldn't read in the dark."

Aiko gestured to the candle. "And behold, I say, 'Let there be light!'"

He tilted his head, and then looked to the door. "Haven't you heard that ghosts wander the castle at night?"

"I'm not a child!" And at that moment, the wind whistled as the floorboards creaked. The hair on Aiko's skin rose painfully, and Mitsuhide smiled, probably enjoying the effect he'd caused. "That was a joke, right...?" asked Aiko.

"Well, who can say?"

Aiko grabbed the blanket and threw it over her shoulders, while Mitsuhide laughed. He sat beside her. "Need some company?"

"This is your fault! Why are you still here anyway? Go back to your mansion." She shoved him, but he didn't budge.

"I'm staying over here tonight," he said, grabbing her hands.

"Then get out of my room and go to sleep."

"Go to sleep? This coming from you, little mouse?"

Aiko glared at him, and then Mitsuhide blew out the candle. Darkness covered the room, and Aiko's eyes took a while to adjust to the starlight.

"Hey!"

The wind blew again, and she could've sworn there was the sound of something scratching the windows. She flinched.

"My, my, it looks like I went too far." Mitsuhide pulled her down until her head was on his lap. He stroked her hair gently as she tried to pull back, but was stopped by a whisper in her ear, and a hand over her eyes. "Sleep."

"I can't," she muttered, trying to pull back again. He didn't relent and she gave up. "And no, it's not because of the ghost."

"Well then, why not?" he asked, pulling his fingers through her hair. And for a second, Aiko had the sudden feeling that she was in a psychiatrist's office.

"It's nothing," she said after a short pause. There was no way to explain what she felt, and Mitsuhide was the last person she wanted to confide in.

"Really?" asked Mitsuhide. "I suppose it has nothing to do with being held captive in a castle, and probably being alone in this large place."

She winced and glared at him. "Does nothing escape you?"

He smiled, but his eyes darkened a little. "You belong to Lord Nobunaga, and that means you can't escape. Because if you do, I will chase you down."

Aiko nodded as his hand caressed her hair again. She recalled the rumors down in the city. "I've heard you weigh his orders for yourself before you carry them out. You're not loyal to him. Not blindly anyway."

He nodded. "I have only ever been loyal to myself. But I do believe in Lord Nobunaga."

"I see," she said wearily. "If only there was something I could hold onto." She said the last words quietly, and didn't know if he had heard her. Mitsuhide started humming, and a gentle tune filled the room. Aiko felt her eyes closing.

        ✭

Aiko headed back to the library the next day to continue her research into war and strategy. She was surprised to see Mitsunari there. They had never exchanged words, but they did know the other person existed, and that was enough for her.