Cupcake

Sunday morning Amrita sat with a newspaper in her hand marking out new jobs. Frankly after the previous nights incident she wanted to quit the terrible job. Another reason being her boss who made it a point to touch her inappropriately whenever he had a chance. She had payed her rent so she could worry about next months rent later. Right now she had to find a new job. Frustrated she threw the newspaper aside.

"I need to get out of here for some time." She muttered.

Putting a denim jacket over her only so called Sunday polka dot dress she slipped her feet in her worn out skimmers. Grabbing her bag she counted the money she has managed to save.

"Enough for groceries."

She moved out casually holding her umbrella under the light drizzle. It was as if his handsome face deliberately refused to go out of her mind.

"Kabir." She spoke to herself. It had been years since she had moved from India to the U.S. A very long time since she met an Indian.

She had started hating the male human race. She had a prejudice that they thought low of women and would never treat them right. Thinking about her past made her shiver.

But Kabir didn't seem to have that effect on her. There was reason she saved him. Her life was like a stage play...spontaneous. You decided on the spot. After ages her heart gave her permission to do something. Without thinking she decided to save him at the spur of the moment.

Entering the cheap super market she managed to buy some stuff. Rechecking and comparing the prices she managed to get her groceries saving half the amount she had.

Walking down the lane like always she came to stand in front of the little bakery.

"Expensive.." She spoke lowly.

"But the only difference today is that I have saved some money!" She beamed.

Hurriedly she entered the bakery decorated in pink. Cookies, pastries, pies, cakes and at the end cup cakes. It was as if she was Alice in wonderland. For a moment everything bright and colorful danced in front of her eyes luring her to eat them. She almost giggled.

"Excuse me can I have one of those?" She pointed to the only thing that fascinated her the most.

"This one Miss?"

"Yes! The Red Velvet cup cake." She smiled.

She sat down near the table by the window. The next ten minutes were spent relishing the the little red and brown blob of sweet. Taking the last bite she almost moaned with satisfaction. All frustration vanished and life seemed happy once again. Sighing she forced herself up.

Amrita was about to open up her umbrella and step out when her body went on guard. The old man tripped on the pavement and the little kid ran towards the Main Street fascinated.

The packets and the umbrella fell from her hands.

"Oh my God!" She ran after the baby and in time pulled him back hoisting him up. Looking back she hurried to the old man and helped him up.

"Sir! Are you alright?" The man winced holding his arm.

"Agrim!" He spoke gruffly. He tried raising his hand but the pain didn't let him.

The child giggled and clung onto Amrita burying his head in her neck.

"You need to go to the hospital."

"No I'm fine." He winced again.

"No you aren't! Let's go." She almost ordered him. Picking up the fallen articles she looked at him.

He looked back at her shocked. He didn't know this young woman and yet she had the audacity to order him. But nevertheless he allowed himself to be ordered around.

He guided her to his car. Obviously he couldn't drive so she did. This reminded her that she had s car parked at her home which was supposed to get a wash.

She drove them to the hospital where his right hand was adorned in a cast. He was trying to call somebody but the person didn't respond. So she drove them back.

"He's adorable!" She exclaimed casting a look at the sleeping child.

"I can't thank you enough Amrita."

"Oh! It's nothing Mr. Thappar. Anybody would have done it."

He smiled back at her.

"I've been meeting Indians lately! I never thought Seattle has any Indians frankly!" She laughed.

"What do you do?"

"I'm a waitress. But.." She trailed.

"But?"

"Looking for another job."

When she told her about where she lived he concluded that she wasn't well off. But he had developed an instant liking for the young vibrant woman.

Once they reached home she held Agrim in her arms and followed him.
He looked at her and was astonished to see that the big mansion in front of her didn't bother her at all. She walked confidently without any awe for the huge place in front of her.

"What sort of a job are you looking for?"

"Anything would do for now!" She sighed.

She placed Agrim in his crib and turned around.

"I have to leave now."

"What if I offer you a job?"

She looked at him bewildered.

Author's Note:-

Comment!

xoxo Lily<3