Part 9

About twenty minutes after Carina was taken back, there was a knock on the door and in walked Cindy, the nurse who had been with them on Carina's diagnosis day.

"Hey," she said, "I just came from the OR, and Carina is doing great. I asked Dr. Cho if I could be there to just observe and bring you updates so I will be back and forth a lot while she is in there. Is there anything you need?"

"No," Maya said, shaking her head, "Thank you so much for being there. It really means a lot to me."

"Of course," Cindy said before looking at Andy, "Sorry, I'm Cindy, one of the OB/GYN nurses here."

"She also has a spouse who had cancer," Maya said, looking at her friend to explain a little more, "She was with us the whole day when Carina was getting her initial diagnosis."

"Nice to meet you," Andy smiled, "I'm Andy. I am one of Maya's friends from the station."

"Nice to meet you," Cindy said, "I'm glad you aren't alone today Maya."

"Same," the blonde said, nodding.

"Well, I am going to go get back to the OR," Cindy said, "I have my cell so if you need anything, just text me, ok?"

"Thank you," Maya nodded as Cindy left.

"She seems nice," Andy said, looking at Maya.

"She is," Maya said, "She...having her to talk to on the day when it felt like our world was crashing in around us was very helpful to me. Her husband had colon cancer ten years ago I think she said, and he is better now. He actually works here in the lab. But knowing there was someone else who knew what I was feeling on that day was...It's hard to explain, but it meant a lot."

"I'm glad you had her," Andy said, smiling at her best friend.

Just then, Maya's phone started ringing.

"Damn it," Maya said, looking at it, "It's daycare. Hello?"

"Hi Maya," Nicole said on the other end, "I hate to call you, but Nora is really upset and she just won't settle down. We gave her her Tylenol, but it doesn't seem to have done anything."

"I'll be right there," Maya said, standing up, "Bye."

"What's wrong?" Andy said.

"Nora is cutting teeth," Maya said, heading toward the door, "And she is miserable. She woke up at midnight last night and didn't sleep well all night and now she is being a bear in daycare. I'm just gonna keep her with me today."

"Ok," Andy said, "Well, I will wait here."

"I'll be back soon," Maya said, heading down to the daycare. She could hear Nora crying as she neared the area of the childcare center, sighing as she walked up to the door. "Hey," Nicole said, walking over to her with Nora in her arms, "I'm so sorry. We tried everything to get her to settle, but..."

"No, I know," Maya said, reaching for Nora, the toddler instantly gripping onto her with a death grip, "She is miserable when she is cutting teeth. I'm sorry she was so difficult."

"It's ok," Nicole said, "Do you want her bag?"

"Yeah," Maya nodded, "I'll probably just keep her with me the rest of the day."

"Ok," Nicole said, "Well, if she starts feeling better, feel free to bring her back. Rowan has been very concerned about Nora, but she has been doing well this morning."

"She is very sensitive to other people's emotions," Maya said, bouncing a little with Nora who was still fussing a little, "Especially people in our family. Hopefully she will be ok with Nora gone. If she's not, let me know."