There's No Place Like Home

Cassandra's POV

Ben and I walked in silence. Only the sound of the leaves was heard each time we stepped. My mind was racing. A part of me was worried for Ben. How would my family feel? The answer to my question was a simple one, and that is what I am afraid of. "I might have to warn you about a couple of things." I said towards Ben, "Home can be a bit intense to outsiders." Ben looked at me with a confused face as he was trying to understand what I was saying. "They don't do well having a living thing around, so if you get injured, that's on you."

"Living thing?" Ben questioned.

"That curse. It's not like any curse you have heard of before. It's different." I said.

"Come on, Cassandra, how bad can it be?" Ben questioned. I didn't know how to answer him. My thoughts swirl within my mind. They were soon interrupted by his voice. "I know we only started talking three days ago, but it's like I've known you longer than that." Ben said. "I'll be okay." he whispered to me as I looked at him, wondering if he meant that.

We continued to walk under the moonlight as the wind started to howl as we got closer to my home. I grabbed a hold of Ben's hand, not wanting him to get lost in the fog that was creating around us. I noticed how Ben was looking around at the new setting he was in: the trees limped, the grass overgrown, and the atmosphere was cold. I could tell by his expression that he was anxious. He seemed to be having a mental debate with himself about something but shook it off as he gave me a small smile.

Once we made it to the gates of the property, I slightly pushed them to open as the creaking sound came from them.
"Ben? Just whatever you do, do not leave my sight." I said poking at the prince's chest. He only nodded his head in return, seeming to have lost his words at the sight of my home. I opened the mansion door as I felt more relaxed to be back to my normal self. Letting go of his hand as my aura began to change to blue, and I was in my ghostly state. "This may be shocking to you, but...this isn't a curse. I'm actually a ghost from here." I said. Before he could say anything in return, a voice came through.

"Cassandra, there you are." Prudence stated, appearing in front of me with the candelabra in hand. "Did you forget that the others need you to go over a couple of regards for the committee?" Prudence said as she was clearly annoyed. In that split second, her eyes widened as she now noticed Ben was beside me. She opened her mouth to speak, but nothing came out of it.

"No, I didn't forget. Now, if you excuse me, my guest and I will be heading to the dining room." I said, not bothering to answer her unheard question of bringing a mortal here. I began walking to the dining room as Ben followed close by. "Sorry about the way it looks here. Prudence, Emma, and Michelle are making sure to add more cobwebs to brighten it up." I said.

"Oh, yeah, that's fine." Ben stated, "I think there are enough cobwebs here anyways." The prince jokes. I couldn't help but smile, knowing that Ben was at least trying to stay calm here as his eyes wandered over to the pictures along the wall. "So what goes on at the committee?" Ben asked.

"Just like any royal meeting you've been to." was all I said as we walked into the room. My eyes landed on my Aunt Sally, who was going over some paperwork at the head of the table. Next to her was Pearl. E. Gates, she was the one who created the committee for us. Then there was Phineas, Ezra, and Gus as they whispered among each other. What I wasn't expecting to see was my mother, I took a seat across from her, causing everyone to look my way.

"Cassandra! Oh, I have missed you so much." Aunt Sally stated as she gave me a warm smile. "And you brought a guest?" She questioned Ben. I gestured to the prince to take a seat next to me as I could feel my mother's cold stare.

"Yes, this is Ben. He's a friend from school." I replied. "Now, have we found another way for us to take away the curse?" I asked, hoping that I could avoid any questions about the prince.