📚violet baudelaire- sick

I picked the best red tomatoes I could find in our garden. I checked them thoroughly for any spots or bruises before I set them in my basket. After I had about fifteen, I brought them inside.

I turned the cold water on in the sink and piled the red fruits in a strainer, setting it underneath the water. As I grabbed a paper towel to put by the sink, I heard steps coming down the stairs.

I looked over to see my girlfriend, wrapped in blankets. She sat at the counter and I walked over and stood on the opposite side in front of her.

"Vi! I told you to stay in bed. You need to rest up before your cold gets worse," I scolded.

"I was lonely!" she complained.

"I was only gone for a few minutes. Besides, I was just right outside in the garden."

"You were going to be longer. It's not like I'm going outside or using very much energy anyways."

"Alright. But at least stay there and don't stand up and walk over to me."

"Deal."

I washed all of the tomatoes and pulled off any stems left before slicing them all up. After they were all diced, I dumped them into a large bowl and grabbed the potato masher. After they were all squished into a thick juice, I grabbed a large pot and filled it about a third of the way with milk, setting the stove on medium.

Once the milk was simmering, I carefully added in the tomato mush and stirred it in with a wooden spoon. As this cooked, I chopped up an onion and a clove of garlic, adding them in when they were in small pieces.

Soon enough, the soup was all done. I poured out two bowls of it and handed one to Violet, telling her to let it cool for a few minutes. I poured the rest out into a large bowl and put the lid on, letting it sit for a while to cool a bit before putting it in the fridge.

"That's a lot of soup," Violet spoke as she scooped her first spoonful.

"It'll be good for a few days. We'll finish it, I'm sure," I explained.

We sat and ate for about twenty minutes before our bowls were empty. I took Violet's dishes and rinsed both of ours out and tossed them in the dishwasher.

"Come on, let's get you back to bed," I grabbed her hand and pulled her out of her chair.

"Be careful, you might catch my cold!" she spoke.

"Darling, my grandma had a garden when I was little. I would eat carrots that were still covered in dirt all the time, my immune system is about ten times stronger than yours."

She giggled and followed me up the stairs. When we got to our bedroom, I pulled back the covers and let her crawl into bed before slipping in next to her. I laid on my side and wrapped my arms around her waist, letting her bury her head into my neck. I kissed the top of her head and rubbed her back until she fell asleep.