•Chapter 12•

┌─ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──┐

•Step One•

TW : mentions of death

└── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──┘

The wind chimes jingle as a certain raven haired woman sat by the engawa, looking outside as a medical prescription and cup of water was placed right beside her futon.

She turned to her eldest son with a serious expression as she called out to him.

"Kyojuro."

The young shrimp head perks up as he looks at his Mother as she speaks.

"Yes, Mother?" he answers to his name as he listened intently to his Mother's next words.

It was happening, Ruka sits in front of her eldest son with her usual serious expression as Kyojuro held a rather mature expression.

"I want you to think hard about what I'm about to ask you." she starts as Kyojuro listened intently. "Do you know why you and (Name) were born stronger than the others?"  she asked her son as a certain H/C head perks up at the mention of her name behind the shoji doors.

Kyojuro thought about it as he opened his mouth to answer but closed it once again, taking back whatever he was about to say as he finally answered.

"I do not know!" he answered as he stared at his Mother for answers. Ruka's eyes held a knowing look as she answered, "it is so that you can save weaker people."

Kyojuro didn't answer as he continued to stare at his Mother, waiting for her to elaborate.

"Those who were born with more gifts than others are obligated to use those gifts for the world and other people." she explained as a younger shrimp head continued to sleep soundly on her futon.

"You must never use that God-given strength to hurt others for personal gain." she continues. "It is the duty of those born strong to help the weak." she blinked before continuing, "it is a mission they must carry responsibly" she said as she emphasised the last word.

"make sure you never forget that." she finished with a strict expression as Kyojuro's expression turned into one of determination as an H/C head girl continued to listen in their conversation behind the shoji doors with her head lowered and her eyes looking at the floor with a rather saddened expression.

"Yes, I won't!" he answered as they both stared at each other before Ruka opened her arms towards Kyojuro as Kyojuro blinked, his eyes shining before he slowly made his way towards his mother as he was quickly pulled into her embrace.

She held him closer before speaking again, "I don't have much more time to live." she spoke as her expression slightly trembled. "I was blessed to be the mother of such a strong and gentle child and to be a part of such strong-willed and independent girl's life."

She continues to speak as tears spilled from her eyes, her breath becoming shaky. "I entrust everything to you and her." she said as Kyojuro's eyes widened and tears glossed his eyes with his brows slowly furrowing and his expression starting to tremble.

Meanwhile, the h/c haired girl behind the shoji doors clenched her fists and jaw before she walked away and started making her way outside with an expression that told a whole story.

She wasn't going to make her words and trust become useless. You were going to prevent her son's death, you have to. Not only that but she trusted you to save those who are weak, even so 'you know the strong and gifted also needs protection.

Death does not discriminate, it does not choose who is worthy or not worthy of death and you know that by experience. You've watched as you outlived everyone that surrounded you due to your own selfish desire to remain alive.

You weren't one to get in the way of life and destiny however, you were here to do otherwise. You were here to prevent as much death as possible and you weren't going to put that chance to waste. 

You will succeed. You've made one too many mistakes in this life of yours and if you fail one more you would fall apart.

She slammed open a shoji door that lead to an engawa as she hopped off the engawa and started doing warm ups. You will get stronger as far as your capabilities will allow you and if its not enough you'll just have to surpass your capacity.

A certain old shrimp head watched by the opened shoji doors as he observed the girls expression which was filled with so much determination that surpassed anyone he's ever met. He pressed his lips as an expression of distaste found its way to his face upon the rememberance of his wife's condition as he turned away and started walking away, drinking his bottle of sake on the way.

You glanced towards the direction of where the oldest shrimp head was with a knowing look. You huffed, already making plans to prevent said shrimp head to rip apart the notes about fire breathing.

That was step one towards one of her goals while she continues to survive in this world.