Chapter Eleven

The sun shines behind my eyelids. A car revs in the distance, jolting my eyes open. The parking lot is now full of cars and people milling about with shopping carts. Emi stirs at the same time as me, brushing my shoulder as she stretches her arms back. Her eyes open, and her placid expression drops into despair.

"I was hoping last night was a bad dream," she says.

I wish the same, but it wasn't. After all, it isn't normal to wake up in a supermarket parking lot. Yesterday night did happen. I was very wrong for assuming that nothing could ruin the elation I felt after our performance.

"At least we had a good performance," I say with a sigh.

"I suppose," she says. "At least that wasn't a dream. But what good is a job if your home is in jeopardy?"

I shrug. "I'm just glad I brought my purse."

Panic flashes across Emi's face. She whips from side to side until her hand lands on her purse, which is wedged between her seat and the door. A sigh of relief rushes from her.

"Yes, those robbers won't be able to get our credit cards. Though they might find some cash."

I'm still deciding whether I should mention my hypothesis to her. I know what will follow—a long lecture about why we shouldn't have started treasure hunting. Besides, I might be wrong. Then again, I may be right, in which case, Emi should be prepared.

"I think I'm going to get some breakfast. Maybe a coffee too." The seat belt slides away from Emi.

"I'll join you." I don't have to tell her my suspicions now.

═════∘✧◦ 🎻◦✧∘═════

I find a ham and cheese croissant and a dark roast coffee for brunch. It's past eleven, so I can't really call our meal breakfast. Emi and I sit down in an eating area on the side of the grocery store. My sandwich is warm in my hands, fresh out of the microwave.

Emi digs her spoon into her yogurt parfait. "We should call the police."

"You think so?"

"Cerise, there was a break in. Of course we should call them."

I savor the crunch of the flaky bread. Cheese pulls from the center until it snaps and I can set my sandwich down.

"Would they believe us?" I say through my chewing teeth.

"Why wouldn't they?"

"Even if they do, there isn't much they can help with. The criminals are gone."

Emi takes a sip of coffee, rubbing her hands around the sides as if to warm herself. I do the same and try to enjoy the bitterness like her. It doesn't work.

"What if they come back?" she says quietly.

"Why would they return?"

She goes in for another spoonful of yogurt in response. We're silent long enough for her to finish half her parfait and for me to reach the last bite of my croissant. I'm drinking more coffee when she says,

"You're not thinking what I am, right?"

"I wouldn't be able to say."

"I mean, do you think it has anything to do with... well... Silverenn?"

It scares me that we came to the same conclusion. It indicates that my suspicions may be true.

"The thought crossed my mind," I say casually.