nineteen

another day at work. i was working on some stuff when my mum called.

"mum, i'm at work", i pick up.

i was already a little stressed because i have to finish everything today.

"i'm sorry, honey. but this is an emergency... your brother", she says and i stop everything that i'm doing immediately.

"what happened with him?"

"he got into an accident with a friend of his that just got his license. he's in the hospital now and me and your father are on our way. i just wanted to tell y-"

i hang up and rush to the the ceos office.

i knock quickly, impatient because i want to leave as soon as i can.

"come in!"

i bow to him, "excuse me for busting into your office like this but it's a family emergency... my brother had an accident- and i have to- i have to go- i promise i'll come earlier tomorrow and finish everything from today- i'm-"

"it's okay. calm down, it's no problem. you can leave", he says and looks surprised because i couldn't even finish my sentences and was just mumbling my words.

"thank you so much", i bow and almost run out of his office again.

while i was rushing to the exit i take out my phone and call chris.

"chris, my brother had an accident and i don't know how to get there quickly. can you drive me there, please! please!", tears start streaming down my face and i can barely catch my breath.

"kaia, relax. breathe, breathe. i'm so sorry, but i'm not in the city right now and it would take me a few hours to get to you", he says and i can tell by his voice that he feels bad.

i can't think straight so i tell him it's okay and hang up immediately.

i have to think of a way to go there but i don't know how. if i take a taxi it'll cost me a fortune and it'll take some time until i find one that's willing to drive such a long way. it's about a two hour drive.

i stop before the exit and try to calm myself down before i make things even worse. some other employees started asking me if i was okay but i couldn't answer.

"excuse me, what's going on here?", i hear someone ask behind the few people that are standing in front of me now.

i recognise his voice.

"kaia?", jihoons manager walks towards me.

"what's wrong? why are you crying?", he awkwardly pats my shoulder not knowing what to do.

i explain my situation to him and i'm surprised he understood even a word of what i was saying because all that's coming out of me now are just tears, sweat and random words.

"you know what", he looks at the time on his phone.

"i finished work a few minutes ago so i'm free now. i'll drive you there", he says and smiles.

"no way, i can't make you drive me there. it'll take a few hours and-"

"i don't think you have a lot of options right now, kaia. let me drive you."

i think about it for a few seconds and i realise he's right. it's better to go with him then some stranger in a taxi. he's helped me a lot and i've gotten pretty comfortable around him so i don't think this is bad at all.

i nod and wipe the tears off my face.

we rush out of the building towards his car.

we both got in but he didn't start the car right away, which confused me.