Cross My Heart

"Cross your heart?"

"And kiss my elbow," Said Olivia, sitting next to Annabelle on the dirty floor of the roller rink. "You tilt your head down so the blood doesn't go to your brain,"

Olivia forced Annabelle's head forward and held the bloodied rag to her nose. "At least we won."

The summer before Annabelle's fourth year of Hogwarts she and Olivia won the roller derby Championship in Bristol.

The rink was run down, old, with a disco ball hanging in the centre, sandbags in a circle to create the track on an overly smooth wooden floor.

"Yeah, we won," Said Annabelle, grinning and trying to look at her, smile bloody and endearingly sincere.

"Head down, Annie." Said Olivia insistently, and Annabelle swatted her had away as she spotted squashed competition.

"Oi, Thompson," Called Annabelle,

She grinned, lifting the trophy, the older girl flipped her off sporting her own bloodied nose on her way out. The sour stench of second place following her in a darkened cloud of disgruntled teammates.

The shiny orange of their team uniforms dampened overshadowed by the bright red of the lions victory.

"A congratulations... maybe?" Called Annabelle, wicked grin on her face, one mirrored by her sister.

"Fuck you, Aelin."

"Not my type, but I like that attitude!" Shouted Annabelle, and Olivia snickered and blew a kiss the the vanquished roller derby champions. "What happened to her nose?"

"Oh you know I'll always avenge you, Annie." Said Olivia, kissing her temple and forcing her baby sister's head down again as her nose bled. "With the passion of a thousand and one suns. I will always avenge you."

Olivia was the most divinely beautiful person to ever cross the Earth since their mother had been robbed of her youth.

Warm, deep skin, and bright green eyes. Olivia, by the age of sixteen, had been proposed to eight times. She was trying to hit an even ten before seventeen.

"Do you know when Mum's pickin' us up?" Annabelle had come here by bus. Lila in her lap as she painted two hands flipping the bird on rollerskates for her big sister.

"She's not. I, the Olivia Dol Aelin, can drive now." Said Olivia, shoving her painfully photogenic driver's license in front of Annabelle's face.

"Who in their right mind gave your sorry arse a license?" Asked Annabelle, reaching to touch it. Olivia shoved her hands away.

"Don't get your nasty ass noseblood on this, it's a government document, Annie." Said Olivia, putting it back in the wallet she kept in her bra. "tossed off the examiner to get this."

"Really?"

"It was like two seconds." Said Olivia, "Besides he was proper fit. Like Paul from Breakfast at Tiffany's and that french bloke, Alain something."

Annabelle nodded.

"I know the one. I'd toss him off for free." Said Annabelle, checking to see if her nose was still bleeding. "He is fit as all hell. But he's French. And the French are fickle fucks."

"I hate it when you come back from dad's." Said Olivia, screening Annabelle for other injuries. "Wish I got to you right after you came back from posh school."

"Oh yeah, I'm a regular Audrey Hepburn 'til Artie gets ahold of me."

"You know what I mean." Said Olivia, standing and pulling Annabelle to her feet, steadying on their overly decorated rollerskates. Olivia squished Annie's cheeks together, "You're alright. Don't bleed on me, yeah?"