The Club

Samantha huffed as she sat through yet another excruciating Friday Night Gilmore Dinner. The 10-year-old had to suppress a groan when Lorelai started a pointless squabble about what their cook's name was. 

"I thought her name was Stella?" 

"No, no that was our last cook. This one's name is Olivia." Emily corrected, making Samantha roll her eyes. 

The cook's name was Sarah. 

"Oh, I liked Stella," Richard butted. 

Samantha gave him an appalled look before protesting, "No you didn't. She was the one that thought Lucy was a maid, remember?" 

Richard had to suppress a smile as he thought about that memory. He had never seen anyone so frightened of a 10-year-old.

"Ah, yes. Dreadful woman. You really straightened her out, Sam." 

"Okay, now I'm curious. What happened?" Lorelai questioned as she leaned towards the youngest Gilmore. Samantha opened her mouth to speak but Emily cut her off. 

"Oh! I want to tell it this time!" 

"What? You got to tell it last time!" Samantha pouted as she crossed her arms. 

Emily simply waved the girl off before going into storytelling mode. Everyone leaned toward the older woman in anticipation. 

"It was a dark and stormy Saturday night--the 17th I think. It was pouring the rain outside, and poor Lucy had to walk over because her brother had taken their golf cart over to the Hampton's house. The girl was drenched from head to toe when she came into the house so, like any hospitable hostess, Samantha gave her some dry clothes."

"What neither of us realized was that it was the maid's uniform." Samantha butted in with an impish grin. 

"What happened next?" Lorelai questioned, on the edge of her seat. 

"Well I went to the bathroom, but Lucy wanted a snack, so she went to the kitchen. Stella was cooking soup for us that evening. When Lucy came in wearing a maid's uniform, still soaked, she started berating her for being late and dripping on the floors."

Emily picked up the story with a proud glance toward her youngest granddaughter. "Poor Lucy didn't know what to do, so she just stood there and let the vile woman reprimand her. That was until Samantha heard yelling coming from the bathroom." 

"When I came into the kitchen, Lucy was in tears, and Stella was pointing her ladle at her and yelling in German. I've taken German for a couple of years, so I was able to make out some of the words, which I will not be repeating." Samantha added on, giving a pointed look to Lorelai who wanted to know what the angry cook was saying. 

"What did you do after that?" Rory interjected, obviously intrigued. 

Richard grinned giddily before recounting what he saw when he walked into the kitchen that night. "Our Samantha gave that woman a piece of her own medicine. That medicine being soup." 

Lorelai and Rory both gasped and looked at Samantha who had a mischievous smirk on her face. Emily beamed at her granddaughter before filling in the blanks of the memorable experience. 

"I was walking by the kitchen to go see if Lucy had arrived yet when I heard two loud feminine voices. One was crying, and the other one was shouting in German. I came into the kitchen to see Stella running around the island covered, top to bottom, in chicken noodle soup. Samantha was chasing her with a dish towel, yelling German insults, and Lucy was just laughing at the whole thing."

"She had quit and packed up all her things within the next half hour," Richard stated. 

"And now she lives in another state," Samantha finished proudly.