A world alone

Samantha Gilmore had always thought the emptiness she felt growing up was attributed to not having parents. Sure, she did have parental figures- her Grandmary and Papa- but that was different than being raised by your birth parents. There were perks, of course, to being raised by grandparents, especially rich ones. For example, when she was six, she decided it was her life's goal to see the Eiffel tower. On her 7th birthday, her grandparents booked them a trip to Paris. All her life, Samantha had never wanted for anything. Her grandparents made it their mission to give her everything her heart desired.

But there were some things even money couldn't buy.

Money can't buy happiness. Money can't buy time. Money can't buy purpose. Money can't buy health. Money can't buy love. And money can't buy parents. These were all things Samantha wanted and needed that her grandparents couldn't get her.

Samantha had a happy childhood, but she wasn't happy, if that makes sense. Instead of being grateful for the things she did have, Samantha constantly pondered the things she didn't. She never accepted the fact that her parents were gone. Even if she didn't realize it, she looked for them everywhere. Her eyes scanned the room for a man and a woman wherever she went, two people that lived only in her mind.

She always imagined the man to be tall, with light brown hair, green eyes, and a well-trimmed beard. Her dad would've been wearing a business suit and carrying a brown leather briefcase with a coffee in his only free hand. Her mom would be wearing a black blazer with a matching knee-length black skirt. She would have shoulder-length dark brown hair and striking blue eyes. She would have the most beautiful smile and laugh. Whenever Samantha imagined her, she would always be smiling.

They would turn to look at her, open up their arms with big grins that took up their whole faces, and she would drop her school bags to run over to them. She would catapult herself into their embrace, smelling the sweet rose-scented perfume that her mother used as her father cupped the back of her head with his hand. Everything would be perfect. And then... she would wake up.

The ghosts of her parents haunted Samantha even when she was sleeping. She couldn't escape. She couldn't move on. She never realized that the description of her mother in her mind was very similar to Lorelai Gilmore. When she found out Lorelai was her birth mother, Samantha wondered if she had somehow always known. Obviously, not for sure, but by some subconscious connection. She always thought her mother held the missing piece of her heart, but then she met Luke Danes.

During their initial meeting, they didn't exactly hit it off. However, the more they got to know each other, the closer they got. And once Luke found out he was her father, the diner owner filled those shoes perfectly. Luke had done everything her mother didn't. He had kept in touch and spent time with her. He called, texted, and learned how to use a computer so that he could email to check in. He even gave her one of his kidneys, for goodness sake. Luke Danes saved Samantha Gilmore in more ways than she ever thought possible. But what she didn't realize what that she had saved him, too. However, this didn't mean that they didn't have their differences.

While Luke liked to live by a routine, Samantha lived by her intuition. Luke saw the negative, and Samantha saw the positive. Luke believed people were cynical, and Samantha believed they were misunderstood. Luke saw the worst in people, and Samantha saw the best. Luke was sharp, where Samantha was soft. Luke was simple, where Samantha was complicated. Luke was direct, where Samantha was passive. They were polar opposites. Luke Danes and Samantha Gilmore were the human embodiment of grumpy and sunshine. But sometimes even the sunniest of people have a cloudy day.

"What's got you in such a mood?" Luke questioned as he, Samantha, and Jess took a walk around the town. It was dark, and there was no one else out which was just how the boys liked it, which was the complete opposite of their extroverted family member. "You've barely said a word since you got back from your grandparent's house."