The Truck (1)

(Y/N) POV

I drove my Ute to the old movie theatre in Paris, Texas. I remember being here every Friday night with friends. Damn it would be a wreck by now. I sit in my car until a familiar blue Ute pulled off the road and behind my car.

"Took you long enough." I call out to my friend.

Cade Yeager. Owner of Yeager Research and Development. He's been a close friend of mine for a good amount of years now. We met in a pub when he was just coming to get a drink one night. He talked about his interest in inventing which interested me since I am a huge engineering and mechanical person.

He stepped out of his car and onto the curb. Black worn out jeans, a grey t-shirt, and a beige coat. Not to mention the shaded glasses and cap. I slide out of my car and close the door.

"Sorry, got caught up making Tessa breakfast." He says.

His daughter, Tessa Yeager, was about to graduate high school. She was a bright kid, and I could clearly tell that she had a boyfriend when she wasn't meant to.

We hear blasting music and turn to see a small, dark green car pull up. A surfboard strapped to the roof.

"Look who finally showed up for work." Cade mumbles as we begin to walk over to the curb to meet him. "What, surf report no good at South Padre?"

"The waves are flat and I got no gas. You know that Cade." Lucas shouts in return. "Hey, you're paying me on this one right Cade? Please tell me I'm getting paid."

"You know Lucas, a lot of guys are just happy to have a job at all." I tell him.

"Yeah, I suppose."

"You guys got any cash on you?" Cade asks, pulling off his glasses.

"Yeah, I got a bit." I say as we begin to cross the street.

"All right, good."

The man we are waiting to see is in front of the cinema, fancy white laced clothing.

"Place has been in the family since '28. Granddaddy ran it all his life. Ain't that right granddaddy?" The man speaks as we walk in. Everything was worn down or falling apart, no wonder they weren't using it anymore. "Real soon, he's gonna sign it over to me"

"The movies nowadays, that's the trouble. Sequels and remakes, bunch a crap." The old man states.

I continue to listen to the bland conversation while looking around. We walk out into the main seating area.

"Remember this place when we were kids? How many girls do you think you brought here Cade?" Lucas asks from the opposing isle.

"I only remember one." Cade replies as he picks up a football. "Hey, heads!" He throws it across and it actually hits Lucas in the head, which causes him to fall into a pile of rubble.

He groans. "That's why you didn't make varsity team." I call out as I continue to look.

"Alright, go long." In an attempt to throw the ball to me, he ends up hitting a chair and bouncing it behind him. "Leave it."

"Hey Snake Balls! How much for the truck?" Cade yells to the man.

"Truck?" He says back.

I look over to see that Cade has indeed found an old truck. We finish up what we are doing and get a tow truck in to get the abandoned truck. The three of us drive our cars to Cade's property, parking near the house.

"All the way!" Cade gestures for when the truck driver to stop.

"A truck? Dad, please tell me you didn't spend our money on this." Tessa walks out from the house, her heels making a statement on the gravel.

"Oh, no don't worry, he spent my money on this one." I say, looking at her with a smile.

"One hundred and fifty bucks of it."

"Shut up Lucas." I look at him.