four

ʏᴏᴜ let out a soft sigh, your fingers petting the soft fur of your cat. Your left hand was holding your phone up to your ear which caught hearing of your parents' voices on the other side.

 You were trying to disassociate from the situation, from the words they were letting out to you. Maybe because of all the assignments you had lately, you were feeling so tired and almost burnt-out despite knowing well that you didn't have the luxury to be that way.

 You were already approaching the end of your current semester. And the next semester would be your final one. So work began piling up. You needed to maintain your education in order to achieve your dream. It certainly didn't help that your parents had called you to ask you about your career and grades. Not to mention, marriage. 

"We know you will have no trouble opening your own practice once you graduate," your father said in hopes of being comforting when really, all it did was the opposite. "After all, you're the best student out there," he added, only increasing the already high mountain of pressure you endured. 

"But you need to start thinking about marriage as well," your mom said. 

 All you could do was let out a series of hums. It's not that you weren't interested in marriage at all but as they themselves have always said, career comes first. And you haven't even started your career. How were they so sure you'd suceed? 

'Shut up,' you stopped yourself from thinking that. 

 You didn't need to add the beginning of losing your self-confidence to the long list of problems you already had. At this point, the only thing that you found yourself enjoying and relaxing was when you spent time at the pet store and with Yeye.

 Once your parents had hung up, you let out another long exhale. You stretched your fingers a little before continuing to type out your assignment. The night ended when you finished your work which was approximately 3 am. You yawned, going to sleep after getting yourself ready for slumber. 

 The next morning, you woke up to the sound of your alarm. You poured Yeye some food and water before getting yourself ready for your morning lecture. You went out to your car, turning the keys in the ignition only for the engine to die instantly.

 You frowned, thinking you didn't turn it properly. So you tried again. And again and again, until you were left with no choice but to accept the fact that your car had broen down. 

 Checking your watch, you prayed in gratitude that you still had time and you wouldn't be late even if you used the train to get to campus. So you quickly walked at a fast pace towards the train station. Once the train had arrived at the station you needed to go to, you checked the time again. 

"Shit," you cursed under your breath. 

 You had a little time left before the lecture starts. And you still had to walk to campus and to your faculty. It was tiring and the day had only just begun. You rushed, picking up your pace so you would arrive on time.

 You couldn't afford to be late. You've never been late before but you couldn't lose that streak now. Not when you were so close to getting that perfect attendance. Thankfully, you managed to arrive on time, taking your usual seat in the lecture hall.

 After your day was done, you returned back to your apartment to feed Yeye as well as get a small meal before heading back out for your shift at the pet store. You thought maybe you could try walking leisurely to the pet store but it seemed tha the universe had something against you relaxing.

 Because you were already late for your shift. You picked up the pace of your walk which seemed more like a jog now. When you entered the pet store, you were panting, hands on your knees while you tried to catch your breath.