Under the Pale Moonlight

The sun glared through the translucent grey curtains and reflected off of the shiny pine walking stick Thomas brandished in his hand. He jabbed at the ground with it as he paced around his temporary home as if trying to fend off the problems closing in on him.

Washington was going to side with Hamilton on the national bank, that much was obvious. He'd read through the thick stack of papers sitting on his desk, Hamilton's plan, more times than he could count. Nothing, apart from Hamilton's bullshit implications, was even remotely constitutionally supported. If Congress decided to pass the resolution, or, in Thomas's eyes, the country's death warrant, it would be a clear violation of the United States Constitution. The very thought made him feel ill.

He changed directions suddenly, grabbing his coat on his way out of the room.

'I must find James', Thomas thought determinedly, stepping out of his building and merging into the bustling New York streets, 'He will know what to do'.

Despite having only been to the Federal Hall a few times, his brain had already memorized the way, and he mindlessly glided towards the large building, the sun's golden rays gleaming from behind the edges of the roof.

Inside, congressmen babbled back and forth, discussing their plans for the day. As Thomas strode through the large room, his head swiveled left and right as he responded to the 'good mornings' of various politicians. He made his way towards President Washington's office, the number of congressmen thinning the further into the building he went. Finally, he had arrived in front of a small pair of double doors, the gold of the doorknobs shining in the sunlight coming through a nearby window. Before he could open the door, it swung open and revealed an extraordinarily bitter-looking Hamilton. A moment later, Aaron Burr followed him, looking equally as solemn.

"Hamilton," Thomas said stiffly. "Burr."

"Jefferson." Hamilton scowled up at Thomas.

If looks could kill, Thomas would be long dead.

"I'm sure you're looking for your little friend, Madison?" Alexander spat. When Thomas didn't respond, he laughed drily.

"Just as Washington has suspected, I believe the Democratic-Republicans really have got themselves a cat and a mouse for their leaders"

Thomas squared his shoulders, a bitter taste in his mouth

"What are you implying about me and Mr. Madison?" He retorted.

It was Burr who spoke up. "You know what he's implying. We saw you and Mr. Madison yesterday after the debate" he leaned forward, a creepy grin appearing over his face. "I'd be more careful where you partake in your... eccentricities, Mr. Jefferson. I'd hate for someone to let something slip to the Gazette. Imagine what it could do to your career..."
Thomas felt his heart stop, and it took everything in his power to keep his expression steady. Hamilton had suddenly gone tense, Thomas saw the muscles in his jaw tense.

"Shut up, Burr," Hamilton said quietly. Thomas looked at him, startled. It was surely the first time he'd ever heard Hamilton stand up for anyone except himself, let alone Thomas Jefferson. Burr, too, looked at him strangely.

Noticing the looks he was getting, Hamilton quickly regained his composure.

"Speaking of the great little Madison," Hamilton said with a touch of extra cockiness, "Did you know he's ill today? I guess he couldn't handle the stress of prancing around in the rain with Thomas Jefferson. He had to take the day off of work."

"What?"

The last time James had been sick enough to leave work, it took an extensive amount of time for him to recover. Although Thomas wasn't very religious, in that moment of hopelessness, he had prayed for James to pull through.