Chapter 3 - Revelry

Word Count:
2960

Florence finished drying the final dish, putting it back in the cupboard it belongs in.

"Thank you for helping me clean up, love," Polly said as she returned to the kitchen after wiping down the table.

"It's nothing Polly, really," She said, sending her a smile. The two women walked out of the kitchen, meeting the rest of the family, minus John, seated around the dining table.

"Got any plans tonight Flo?" Arthur asks.

"Not tonight but I do have a couple errands to run. Why?" She responded, standing behind Finn and putting her hands on his shoulders.

"We were thinking of going down to the Garrison for a drink to celebrate your return." Tommy said.

Florence smiled. "That depends, you gonna buy me a drink?"

Tommy rolled his eyes. "I'll buy you your first one. I'm sure you'll have men throwing themselves at you after that." He said, lighting a cigarette.

Everyone let out a small laugh. "Yeah, you're probably right. I am just that irresistible." Florence said, flicking her hair as she finished talking. Tommy smirked slightly while shaking his head.

"I'm sure a lot of women will be thanking you as well." Polly said, "Taking care of their men during the four years." She smiled warmly at her.

Florence tensed slightly. "Yeah, probably." She said, forcing out a smile.

Tommy noticed the brief change of demeanour but chose not to point it out.

"Won't have to buy another drink ever again Flo." Ada joked.

"Sounds like a win to me." Florence responded, winking at Ada. "What time did you want to meet?"

"Go whenever you like, dear. The boys will be there from the moment work is over." Polly quipped, eyeing Tommy and Arthur, who returned the glare.

"Oh c'mon Pol, give 'em a break." Florence said amused. "The boys wouldn't stop talking about going out and drinking whenever I fixed one up. It's their way of de-stressing."

"See Pol. De-stressin'. That's what we do." Arthur added, sending Polly a smirk.

She rolled her eyes, "If that's what you wanna call it."

"Anyway," Tommy started, "I'll pick you up at five."

"Sounds perfect Tommy." Florence smiled before getting up. "I've got a couple of things I need to do before tonight so I better get started." She placed a small kiss on Finn's forehead. "I'll see you all later."

...

Florence walked up the small hill toward the tree at the top. As she got closer, the gravestone came into focus. She knelt in front of it, cleaning up the dead flowers and plants around it and placed down the bunch of white roses up against the headstone.

"Hey mum." She started, running her hand across the engraving. "Sorry it took me so long to come see you but I'm glad Polly and Ada were able to visit when I couldn't. I'm sure you're aware of everything that's been going on over the last four years." She let out a breathy chuckle. "I miss you. So do Dad and Gabe. They're struggling a bit at the moment, after the war and everything, but they're doing their best.
"I know it's been nine years, it's just.. still tough without you. Polly helps a lot. She says I'm just like you. Gosh I wish you could see me now. I'm a nurse, like you. I've helped so many people. Even gave me a medal. I'm one of the first women to get one." She took a deep breath. "I hope you're proud of me mum." She whispered, letting the tears leave her eyes.