1 - Familiar Bliss

2016

Risa was like a breath of fresh air when I first met her. Palaging nakangiti, palaging mataas ang energy, pero ramdam mo na hindi niya pinepeke. She had such a soft voice and a genuine smile that it was something I actually anticipated to see after being surrounded by people who pretend to be kind just for show.

We had a lot of things in common. Both widowed and left to raise young children, both women in a male-dominated profession, and we were both in need of a constant supporter who would anchor us the same way Jesse did for me and Frank did for her. We bonded over a lot of things, talked about our visions and platforms, our children, our plans for ourselves, and many others.

In a sea of people dressed in yellow, Risa always stood out the most to me because she encapsulates the color itself — bright, optimistic, and comforting. Like yellow, Risa symbolized bliss.

"Hi, Leni!" She greeted as I entered the tent behind the stage, a few hours before we started the campaign rally. Lumapit siya para bumeso sa akin and immediately asked how I was doing.

Talking to her calmed my nerves down. I felt less nervous, more composed, and more sure of myself. Mas handa akong haharap sa tao mamaya because I know she's got my back.

We went on stage and before I took the microphone for my speech, I heard her say, "Go, Leni! I'm rooting for you!"

----------------

We landed in Hong Kong and I closed my eyes, reveling the air. It felt sort of good to leave the Philippines especially at the height of the campaign period. Parang wala masyadong pressure sa'kin dito. Walang mga matang mapagmasid at mapanghusga.

Risa appeared beside me, linking our arms together, "Roomates kami ni Leni ha!"

Nakarating na kami sa hotel room and she immediately sprawled to one of the twin sized beds. "Pwede bang matulog na lang? Napagod ako mare."

"Ako rin. Ayoko pa umalis dito, pahinga muna tayo."

I laid down on the other bed and we started chatting about our journey to Hong Kong. 

Our friendship grew deeper and stronger during the few days that we spent there. We minded our business, kept our stories to ourselves, and laughed at the men's constant bickering and arguing.

After campaign rallies and dinners with the team, we'd crash at our beds and stuff our faces with sweets, exchanging anecdotes, life lessons, and even shared our opinions and takes on controversial issues. We got to know each other better in Hong Kong and that's when I knew my friendship with her would last a lifetime.

2019

After our win, Risa and I often exchanged messages. We'd greet each other during birthdays, talk about our achievements, share a laugh about the lives we live on a daily basis. I don't see her frequently. In fact, we only see each other in meetings and budget hearings. But still, our friendship remained the same.

I was in UP Town Center today to take care of an errand when I bumped into her.

"Uy, Risa!"

"Omg, Leni, andito ka rin! How are you?"

"Okay lang, as usual busy. Ikaw?"

"Same lang, always naman tayong busy. Walang bago." She laughed.

"Totoo. Are you with someone right now?"

"Ay not yet. I'm waiting for Issa, susunduin raw niya ako dito."