7 - Afterparty

Note:
Italics - Dialogue
Bold & Italics - Song lyrics
-------------------------------------------------

I didn't get to tell Risa that night.

Hindi ko nasabi because I was afraid to overdo it. What if mabigla siya masyado and she leaves? What if I confess too much all at the same time and she becomes so overwhelmed by it that instead of assuring her as I promised earlier, I scare her away? What if I say too little?

I didn't think too much about her not reciprocating my feelings kasi okay lang naman kahit hindi. It would hurt, it would make me sad, but it's okay. Maiintindihan ko naman.

But if the end of the 90 days we've had together already saddened me more than I ever thought it would, what more would living a life where she hates and avoids me because I feel that way feel like? Baka hindi ko na kayanin.

I want to tell her how I feel — I just don't know how and when.

Before parting from each other that night, the only words I got to say were 'thank you'. She smiled at me knowingly, as if she already understood all the meanings behind my gratitude.

If only you knew, Risa. If only you knew.

---------

"Panalo ka, Leni."

"Hindi lang ako, Ris. Panalo tayo."

---------

It's been 53 days since the night we snuck out and here we are, hours after my inauguration, celebrating the end of the beginning. Everyone knows that the real war only starts after today but tonight, we celebrate a long-awaited and well-deserved victory.

I'm looking at Risa from across the room talking to some of the guests. Ang ganda ganda niya. The next thing I knew, I was walking towards her like a magnet attracted to metal. I balanced two drinks in my fingers, intending to drink one and give her the other.

"Good evening, Senator Hontiveros," I greet her curtly.

"Good evening, Madame President." Her eyes twinkled as she saw me. "It feels really good to finally call you that."

"I feel the same with calling you senator again. You deserve that Risa pa."

"You deserve that seat in Malacañang too. More than anyone."

She excused herself from the people she was talking to earlier and we walked side by side, fingers brushing occasionally. If it's the champagne talking then that's good but if it's just me then malala na 'to because I'm so, so tempted to hold her hand.

Umupo kami sa isa sa mga table farther back from the stage. Just as we were about to start a conversation, the host announced, "Dapat pakantahin natin ang mga newly elected senators ng Tropang Angat!"

"I nominate re-elected Senator Risa Hontiveros," Trillanes shouted from the table in front of us.

"I second the nomination," Kiko replied from another table across the room.

"Our senators and VP have nominated Sen. Risa. Ikaw, Madame President, any nominees? Kapag wala na i-close na natin 'yan at pakantahin si Senator Risa."

I turned to Risa and saw that she was blushing. Kala mo naman hindi pa niya 'to nagagawa dati. I put my hand on her arm assuringly and said to the host, "I close the nomination."

"Our president has spoken kaya let us all welcome on stage and give a round of applause to Senator Risa Hontiveros!"

She stood up from beside me and gave a my arm a slight squeeze. Tumayo na siya sa stage and took the microphone in her hands. Isa ako sa mga pinakamalakas na pumalakpak para sa kanya. "Go, Risa!"