Chapter Eleven

Aubrey stepped back, unable to wipe the stunned expression from his face.

    Carlos entered, looking sheepish.

    Without thinking, Aubrey hugged him. "Where the fuck have you been?" he blurted out. "We thought you were...Destiny thought you were...I mean..."

    "I almost was," Carlos muttered, tugging on the hem of his olive green t-shirt.

    Dylan entered the living room, speaking in low tones with his co-worker. Then he raised a hand to Aubrey. "No signs of pre-installed surveillance equipment. We still have to check the upper level, but we've checked vents. We would need access to any laptops or other electronic devices you have to determine if anything was installed on or in them."

    Dylan's co-worker piped in, "We're headed to the upper level now to scope it out."

    Aubrey gave them a curt nod.

    Carlos's brows shot up as he eyed the two security alarm installers. "Now this is my kind of party."

    Aubrey frowned. "Priorities."

    Carlos shook his head and ran a hand through his hair. "Right. Palmer came to the condo and tried to kill me. He knew that I was withholding information."

    Aubrey gestured for Carlos to follow him and led the way to the living room, where he sat on the couch. "How did you get away? Where have you been staying?"

    "Let's just say Palmer isn't known for his stamina or endurance."

    Aubrey's frown deepened.

    Carlos laughed. "You thought I meant..." He laughed harder, waving a hand in the air. "No, honey. I never got that far with him, thank God. I meant stamina and endurance when it comes to running."

    "You outran him? Even though he had a gun?"

    "Once I got into the hallway, he seemed nervous to shoot," Carlos explained with a shrug. "So I ran for my fucking life. I laid low. When he assigned me to this whole...mess of a situation, he made sure that I had cash, since we didn't know if you'd allow me to stay in your building. I used that cash to get a hotel room. Way out of town - I made sure to leave the Toronto city limits."

    Aubrey was tempted to ask him why he hadn't left the country, but knew better. If Carlos had left the country, Palmer could easily track him. It had been smart for the young man to stick around. "Smart. I'm glad to see that you're doing well. You mentioned that you needed help."

    "The money he gave me is running out," Carlos told him. "And just... in general, I don't know what to do. I feel stuck. I can't call anyone. I can't hang out with anyone. I can't be seen out, or else he could find me."

    "Laying low is the right thing for you to do right now," Aubrey told him. "I'm not sure if you're aware, but someone else was killed in that condo."

    Carlos nodded and the corners of his mouth turned downward. "Rafael. I saw the news. Television is all I have these days."

    Aubrey narrowed his eyes at the younger man. "You knew him? By name?"

    Carlos shrugged. "He asked for my number a few times when I was on my way up to the condo. I was playing hard to get."

    Aubrey sighed and ran a hand over his head. "Maybe that's why he was killed, then."

    Carlos's brows furrowed. "Because of me?"

    "From what Destiny told me, it sounded like he killed his wife so he could be with you, so yes," Aubrey said matter-of-factly. "Destiny and I were thinking maybe Palmer had him on payroll since he has access to all of the condo units. But knowing that you've talked to Rafael...it's possible that Palmer just saw you with him and killed him out of jealousy."

    Carlos collapsed down into the armchair and leaned forward, putting his head in his hands. "I don't understand why all of this is happening."

    "Because a bad man who seems to be obsessed with you, wants to cover up his sins," Aubrey said, glancing at his watch. "I told the cops most of what I know. So they're looking into Palmer now. For some reason, he's been laying as low as you have. I haven't heard a peep from him lately. I don't know whether to feel relieved or more frightened."

    "Destiny is doing all right, though?" Carlos asked him, his large brown eyes filled with concern.

    Aubrey nodded. "She's still staying with Brian. So far, so good."

    "And you're...holding up?"

    "Holding up?" Aubrey repeated.

    Carlos shrugged. "Yeah, I mean...you're okay with her staying with Brian for this long?"

    Aubrey shook his head slowly. "No, I'm not okay with it. But I don't have a choice. Especially since so far, that plan is working."

    "You're better than I am," Carlos quipped. "I'm too jealous for all of that shit. My baby gotta stay with me."

    "Priorities," Aubrey reminded.

    "Right. I need money. A place to stay. Something."

    "I can help you," Aubrey told him. "I'm already helping Bridgette. What's one more?"

    Carlos grabbed onto both arms on the chair and leaned forward. "You're already helping who?" he demanded.

    Aubrey stared at him. "Bridgette. My administrative assistant."

    "Shit," Carlos whispered.

    "What is it?" Aubrey asked him. "What is that you know?"

    Carlos ran a shaking hand through his hair. "I ran from Palmer - I knew if I took the elevator, it could take too long to get to me. So I took the stairs. And I was trying to think smart, you know? Because I've seen a lot of scary movies. So instead of running down the stairs, I ran up a flight and just stayed there, listening. He opened the door to the stairway and leaned out. He was on the phone with someone. Whoever it was, he said, 'We're one down, Bridgette. It's up to you to get the information now.'"

    A muscle in Aubrey's jaw twitched. "You're sure the name you heard was Bridgette?"

    Carlos raised two fingers. "Scout's honor. Except...I wasn't really a scout, but I wanted to be. When I was a kid."

    Aubrey rested an elbow on his knee and cupped his hand around his mouth. "All right...just let me think for a minute." A million different thoughts ran through his head. His first urge was to pay Bridgette a visit and demand the truth from her, but there was no guarantee he would get it. Not to mention the fact that he still had security alarm installers working in his condo. His second urge was to send Carlos to the hotel, but he wouldn't know which questions to ask Bridgette. His third urge was to leave Carlos here in his condo while he went off to interrogate Bridgette, but with the way Carlos had looked at the two security alarm installers, there was no telling what Aubrey would come back to. Carlos also wasn't safe on his own, even with the alarm installers present. He was at a complete loss as to what he should do. It's like I can't trust anyone, he thought. Sure these Armotek installers are wearing uniforms, but how do I know Palmer didn't somehow find out I had an appointment scheduled with them? How do I know these workers weren't paid off? He rubbed his temples and groaned in frustration.

    Dylan walked past, carrying several looped bundles of cable wiring.

    "About how long is this process going to take?" Aubrey asked.

    "For what you've asked us to do?" Dylan asked. "Several hours."

    Aubrey sighed. He didn't want to wait several hours before confronting Bridgette. "How about this? Can I pay you extra to leave for awhile and meet me back here, in...say, a few hours?"

    Dylan glanced at his watch. "You are our last stop for the day...but we'd have to check to make sure it would be okay. They track us like cattle, man."

    "Check with whoever you need to check with," Aubrey ordered.

    Dylan put in a phone call to his superior, who authorized it.

    Aubrey didn't waste time. Once the alarm and surveillance equipment installers were out of his condo, he turned to Carlos. "You're coming with me. We're going on a field trip."