Chapter Twenty-Nine

"I need you to stop down by the station so we can ask you a few questions. How does tomorrow sound? Does that work for you?"

    "My family and I are supposed to be leaving town early tomorrow morning. Tomorrow is no good."

    "Mr. Graham...you are a person of interest in this case. Do you know what that means?"

    "It means that you believe I may be a suspect."

    "I don't personally believe that you are the one behind this, but it means that we have to consider the fact that you could have something to do with the case. All of the victims are related to you in some way, shape, or form. That is an element that we can't ignore or overlook. But what it also means is that you shouldn't be leaving town at all."

    Aubrey ran a damp, warm cloth over his face, then looked at his reflection in the bathroom mirror.

    "You...you don't understand. My family and I have to get out of town."

    "You do? You have to get out of town? Why do you have to get out of town, Mr. Graham?"

    "Because..."

    Aubrey flipped up the water faucet and held the pale blue washcloth beneath it, as he remembered his earlier conversation with Detective Larrieux.

    "Because?"

    "My family. My friends. And...other people...if I stay around, they're in danger."

    "If you take your family out of town but you stay with them, aren't you also putting them in danger that way, with that line of thinking?"

    "I'm afraid for them. I need to be around them. I can at least try to protect them."

    "Mr. Graham...I'm going to have to strongly advise that you do not leave town."

    "I have to."

    "All right, look...tomorrow you can come by the station. You and I can have a conversation. If that conversation lines up the way it should, then you can leave town - as long as you promise to keep in contact with me, and make sure I have a current number for you in case I need to reach you."

    I'm a person of interest, Aubrey thought now, wiping his face again with the washcloth. The police were so interested in him, they hadn't wanted him to leave town. He was being framed for murder. My company is scrutinized and called into question for illegal activity, and the one person who would have been privy to that information, Steve McClintock, accounting executive, was killed. A clean shot to the head. In his own home. A home address I would have had access to since he is one of my employees. He hung the washcloth on a towel rack and padded out of the master bathroom in bare feet. Another person dead because of a few names that I listed in a college newspaper article last year.

    Dylan, the surveillance equipment installation representative, was in his bedroom squatting down to the floor messing around with audio/video cables.

    "Everything going all right?" Aubrey asked him.

    Dylan looked up at him and nodded. "Yeah, yeah everything's working out just fine, Mr. Graham."

    Even though Aubrey was leaving town, he still wanted the equipment installed. The fact that he was leaving town may be all the more reason for the surveillance equipment to be installed. His condo had an alarm system, but that alarm system in no way made him feel safe - not with a brutal killer walking around, a brutal killer who seemed to have influence over people who were around him.