XXI

Relief flooded through Eldwin as he rested his head on the headrest of his car. Houses and greenery rushed by as his mother sped down the road growing closer to their house with every mile. Eldwin closed his eyes trying to let the craziness that had just happened calm down in his mind. There was no telling what was going to happen now but for the time being he was safe.

Closing his eyes, he dreamed of the tail still in front of the door and the teacher, with angel-like wings battling it full force. A shiver shot down his spine causing his eyes to open. His mother took quick glances between him and the road. He could tell she was trying so hard to hold back tears. Eldwin swallowed hard as he turned back. The hospital was long out of sight now. "I'm fine, Mother," he stated. "I do have a question though. How do you and my teacher know each other?"

"We're old friends you could say. Thanks to him I got a job at the hospital I work at now and you can go to school tuition-free." Eldwin settled back down in his seat. He was hoping his mother would answer questions for him, not give him more questions. Eldwin turned his attention back to the window as his mother pulled over to the side of the road allowing an ambulance to rush past.

"Going to the hospital no doubt, I'm sure Al is fine."

"What was with his weird powers anyway? As we were pulling away he grew wings and went inside. How do you explain that mother?"

Sari looked at him through the back view mirror once more. "I didn't see anything like that, maybe you fall asleep every now and then sometimes medicine has that side effect."

"I fell asleep twice in one day? Not buying that." Eldwin crossed his arms over his chest and narrowed his eyes causing Sari to look away once more. There was something his mother was hiding from him and he wanted to know what it was. After an awkward silence, they finally arrived at him. A man in a grey suit stood at their front door.

"Mr. Anderson, can I help you with something?" Sari called from her car.

Eldwin watched as the man's shoulder moved upwards before turning around. In his right hand, he held a piece of paper. "Not very well, Sari." Mr. Anderson spoke as he headed towards the car. "Good afternoon Eldwin." He nodded towards him once he reached the car. "Glad to see you on the mend and sent home a week early. That's always a good sign.

Anywho, I was passing out flyers to remind people what Kirk looked like. It had been over a month now and there are still no leads on his disappearance. I'm taking the law into my own hands for this. I'm just hoping the police find the kidnapper before I do." Eldwin swallowed as memories of him giving the command to Hamon to get rid of him flooded his mind.

"We will keep our eyes out for him. Now, if you don't mind, I would like to get Eldwin inside and into bed. He has had a rough morning." Eldwin watched as Mr. Anderson tipped his hat before leaving the car and headed down the sidewalk. "Poor man," Sari muttered, "I'm so glad you were able to be returned safely to me. I don't know what I'd do if you were the one that went missing instead of Kirk. Or even drowned and lost in the river forever, for the matter." Eldwin threw the door open as his mother's words echoed in the back of his mind.

Sari came to help him. Eldwin had already slammed the door shut and headed around the other side of the car. "Here allow me to help you." Eldwin turned and gave his mother a mean look causing her to take a step back. "Eldwin, I know you just had a horrible idea. Why don't you go inside and lay down? I need to run to the Pharmacy and get your medicine anyway. I can be gone while you sleep and get all the narcotics out of your system."

"Geez mother, you make me sound like a drug addict."

"I know you're not Eldwin, but Doctor Manju thought you were in pain. I didn't want to see you suffer. It was a small dose but nonetheless. From all your hallucinations you need to sleep them off." Eldwin could tell she was using her work, I'm the nurse and I know better tone with him trying to display authority. "I'm going inside now." He said as he waved her off.