Chapter 13

"Ok I need you to breath in for me Max" Maya was sat next to Max on the hospital examination bed whilst he was being checked by Carina.

"Good boy. Can you do that one more time for me?" Maya listened to max's breathing there was definitely something going on.

"Ok bello thank you" Max smiled at the brunette before Maya assisted him with putting his shirt back on.

"Well done my love" Maya placed a kiss to the small boys forehead.

"It seems as though it may be asthma" Carina stated as she turned around in her swivel chair.

Carina had already ruled out anything else that Max's breathing could be related to.

No heart conditions or anything more damaging.

Maya was relieved when she heard that it was asthma.

"Right so what's the next step?" Maya asked.

"We need to keep a chart going and see how he is within the next two weeks. I'll give you some pumps to see if they help. If you catch him out of breath at any point give him one and help him with it" Maya nodded along as Carina spoke.

"Ok thank you" Maya was so glad it was only asthma.

"No problem Bella" carina smiled at the blonde before Maya stood to leave holding her hand out for Max.

"Wait bello. I think someone deserves a lolly pop" Max's face lit up at hearing that.

"What do you say to Carina?" Max took the lolly pop from the Italian.

"Thank you Rina" Carina laughed softly before walking to the door with them both.

"My pleasure"

"Keep hold of these and use them" Carina grabbed  sheets of paper from the folder on the wall and handed them to Maya

"You plot down where abouts he is on the scale. 1 being he is struggling with his breathing to a point where he turns blue, and 10 being he's A ok with his breathing. Do it twice a day once in the morning and again at night.

"Ok, thank you so much for doing this" Carina smiled and shook her head.

"Bella, it's my job" Maya laughed adverting her eyes to her shoes.

"Be good for your mommy ok" Max nodded his head before he started to pull at her hand.

"Les go mommy" both Maya and Carina laughed before saying their goodbyes.

****

"It's good that it's only asthma" Andy said as she bounced Rustle on her knee.

"It is" Maya nodded as she bounced Max in her knee.

"I still can't believe he may have it though" Maya spoke.

"You had it didn't you? That's probably why" Maya nodded.

"Makes sense"

"What's wrong?" Maya sighed before speaking again.

"I can't help but feel guilty" Andy nodded.

"Max may have it and Rustle probably does too"

"Maya you can't help what happens to there body. It's genetic it happens" Maya nodded.

There was a pause for a moment before they heard the sirens go off.

*station 19 ladder 19* both Maya and Andy grabbed the twin that was resting on their knee and ran with them to the beanery.

"Travis take twin number 1" Maya hands Max over to Travis and Andy also handed Rustle over to him as well.

"Twin number two" Andy called as she ran off and out of the beanery.

Travis looked at the boys in his arms.

"Silly mommy and Andy"

****

Maya arrived back from a tough call, she had lost a kid on this one.

Being a mother definitely changed how she viewed her calls.

She took every step with extra caution.

She didn't make any mistakes and she most definitely didn't risk her life more than she already did.

Maya shook off her helmet and rested against the fire truck.

Everyday was hard.

Her job had its perks but it also had its downfalls.

Today was the day that she had a downfall.

By the time they got into the house it was too late.

"Bella" she hadn't even realised Carina was at the station.

Maya opened her eyes.

They were laced with tears.

Carina tilted her head as she stood across from Maya.

"Andy told me" Carina filled in the blanks for the blonde before walking closer to Maya.

"Oh" her voice broke when she spoke.

Carina was now stood in front of Maya, her hands migrated to Maya's; she interlocked them together.

"Bad calls happen" Maya nodded her head.

"I know" Maya took a breath before speaking again.

"It makes me think of the twins, and how scary this world is" Carina nodded her head as she listen to Maya talk.

"They have a fire mommy, they'll be safe" Maya smiled at this.

"There's that gorgeous smile" Carina leaned in before placing a soft kiss to Mayas cheek.

"Thank you for coming. I really needed this" Maya moved her hand from Carinas to brown locks.

She pushed any loose strands from her face.

"My pleasure"

AN:

hello guys